What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasonable Unrooted cutting prices?

I have no experience in the sale or trade of un-rooted cuttings of nepenthes, so when I offered some in a trade and quoted what I guessed was a reasonable compensation*, the rapid exchange of emails suddenly stopped. I'm afraid I may have offended him
sad.gif

*he was originally selling his plants to me, then offered a trade when he heard what Neps I had and wanted to know what I thought would be fair in exchange for them.

So what ARE reasonable prices for unrooted cuttings of common (eg, ventrata) and medium-rare (eg, ovata) nepenthes?

Thanks!

Many people give away ventrata cuttings, and the price depends on the genetics a lot of the time.

Depends really. Ventrata unrooted cuttings like $1 haha. Ovata would be like $15-20.

It basically gives a person a chance at having the plant. It's more of a gamble than a purchase. So, no, probably not worth much.

EP,

I would disagree somewhat. Any one competent in growing Neps should have good success. For example, when I first started growing I had maybe a 10% success rate but now (7 years later) I have probably close to 90-95% success rate. And if I actually checked my cutting pots on a regular basis the ones I had lost probably would have taken as the reason I lost them was because their pots had dried out.

Depends on the rarity of the species as well and cultural preferences and history. Try rooting an N. aristolochioides!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Dec. 01 2006,9:04)]Try rooting an N. aristolochioides!
Are you offering me a cutting to try on?

If so I gladly accept the challenge
smile.gif

Sure that would be great. Thanks Santa

Obviously it depends on the species, but I'd figure unrooted cuttings should be sold for a fraction of what the actual plant would cost. Generally, I wouldn't feel right taking money for unrooted cuttings, as they are prone to fail especially after being mailed across the country. Exceptional and rare species are the exception to this, though.

I wouldn't pay anything for an unrooted N. x ventrata cutting, and I wouldn't pay more than five bucks or so for an unrooted N. ovata cutting, if that. Once ovata starts to vine, it grows VERY quickly. I've got 10 feet of N. ovata vine right now, but am waiting to see if it flowers before chopping it up.

Capslock

its also the speed some plants grow. you will always see ventrata and ventricosa cuttings but never a lowii or villosa or somthing slow like that. some others also just dont take well to cuttings or are very slow.
Alex

Back