What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. pilosa is actually N. chaniana

It seems that the hairy yellow N. pilosa in cultivation isn't N. pilosa at all. It's now officially N. chaniana and N. pilosa is still lurking out there somewhere. That means that the N. pilosa x veitchii BE sells is actually N. chaniana x veitchii....
sad.gif

Still, it doesn't mean the plants will change overnight - just the name.

Well that's lame. Now I have to change my plant's tag! Bleh!

According to a Sabah news report, Dr Charles Clarke made an expedition to Bukit Batu Lesung (where the original specimens were collected) in July 2006 to check out that the pilosa of Sabah is indeed different from the pilosa of Kalimantan. It is indeed different. Acoording to Dr Clarke the real pilosa is much more rounder and broader in shape.

The new psecies is named after Datuk CL Chan the publisher of all Dr Clarke books (Natural History Publication (borneo)).

choong

Wowwwwwwwww!
What a news!
I go to collect all my rubbers! ;)
Ahahha! What a news!
smile.gif

Mr_Aga
Mailand - ITALY

Am I the only one here who is always so impressed and excited to hear about new or "hidden" species of Nepenthes ??
N. pilosa is still there, somewhere in the jungle, never grown or photographed by any human being, while we've been growing a new species for ages without knowing it (same same as N. smilesii!!
smile.gif
)...I love that so much!
Thanks Rob, I was looking forward to know the real, new name of that "not-pilosa" plant!
Marcello

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrAga73 @ Dec. 01 2006,3:55)]I go to collect all my rubbers!
uhhh......yeah. Whatever floats yer boat man  
Oo.gif

Rob Cantley aka Borneo wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
It seems that the hairy yellow N. pilosa in cultivation isn't N. pilosa at all. It's now officially N. chaniana and N. pilosa is still lurking out there somewhere

Is this info published yet?  Do you know where?  If it is, I would be interested in reading the published account.  

Thanks, Rich

Back