Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAMOUS Nepenthes Fertilizers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glider 14
    Most of that thread is written by people who don't have the most basic grasp of biology.
    It's essentially worthless.
    Sorry.
    T.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your kind words, Tonyc.

Like I said in the other thread. Are those elements harmful? Yes. Are they harmful in such low doses as these? Maybe. Maybe now, maybe it takes a while for them to build up. Why risk it? I think you are worrying over nothing. Pop a few crickets (or gouramis lmao) in there once in awhile if you are really worried about little wickle tiny elements that are only required in very small doses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to pick on anyone so noone take this the wrong way.. I am a scientist at heart and through education. I read that other thread and have yet to see more than a couple people say simply that copper and zinc are toxic to cps or specifically to Nepenthes. I have not seen any direct evidence to support those claims or any kind of qualifications that would lend credit to such claims.

There is a reason copper and zinc are included in microelement formulations. They are both part of important plant enzymes. So yes plants DO need them. The question though is do you need to supplement with them? And if you do, how much is too much because they can become toxic if too much is given. I must say I find it amusing to read some of the other statements is toxic. Not one of them mentioned Boron though which is somewhat unclear how it works in a plant and according to my text book clearly states has an extreamly narrow range between deficiency and toxicity, much more so than either copper or zinc.

As for my own beliefs on this subject. There is no clear answer. It depends alot on an individuals circumstances. What the plants are potted in, the kind of water used, any feeding the plants receive etc. Plants must be fed, whether they are carnivorous plants or not. If they are unable to catch sufficient amounts of their own food then it must be supplimented in some fashion. This includes macro, micro and trace elements when appropriate. So how would you go about deciding when it is appropriate to apply micro/trace elements? Again it depends on each individual. I think that there are a number of cases where plants are grown indoors in enclosed grow chambers, potted in mix which does not contain any nutrients, and watered with very pure water. Such plants will benefit highly from external feeding. Simply putting organic food into the pitchers on a regular basis would meet all the plants macro,micro and trace element requirements. Feeding with dilute inorganic fertilizer not containing added micro/trace elements however would potentially cause a deficiency in micro and trace elements. But feeding with the same dilute inorganic fertilizer using tap water instead of pure water would compensate and more than make up needed minor and trace elements! Such a simple thing as changing the type of water can make a big impact.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the notion that zinc was toxic came from dead plants in zinc baskets. Anything like that would be toxic for sure at that dose.

Just don't baby them too much. Everytime I baby something I kill it. It's like that infomercial, Set it and forget it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!
    There also many "leggends" in this big forum and it is nice that a person like
    Tony Paroubek has put a point to this ( at least in this topic ).
    So..the final decision for my would again return for choosing the second product with microelements.
    Maybe some of you remembers that i did already use fertilizer " Osmocote" with a small reinwardtiana with a really nice results! So....now I want to use Miracid instead of Osmocote because I have heard that this fertilizer some years ago was named to be "a miracle" for carnivorous plants.
    I don't understand a clue in biology so I "trust" in who tells the true and not in this forum. We have to try not to speak too much if we are not sure of an argument.......or at least to tell that it is what "you think" and not what "effectively is".
    Some other experiences?
    Bye!

Mr_Aga

By the way...do you know a place in Europe where to order Miracid? I just found it overseas..... ( WITE ME IN PRIVATE FOR THIS ).
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no miracle plant food lol. I wish some may say superthrive is, some other says it's a viscous fluid derived from a legless reptile.

Your the second person i've seen today looking for american stuff. It's funny how everyone in the US wants Euro products. Do people in Europe like american products the way we like yours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest looking for a quality hydroponics place that sells a complete hydroponic fertilizer. These are designed to mix with pure water to give a properly balanced solution of all elements necessary. I would however start with a fairly dilute solution since you are working with CP's and not tomatoes. There must be such places in Europe that would be easier to buy from

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be a perfect excuse to take a trip to amsterdam I bet they have great hydroponics stores lol

Seriously though, I believe this place ships to europe.

http://www.hydroponicswholesale.com/...nts-c-145.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast