What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes lingulata - Introducing a New Species

biggrin.gif
Here are some photos of Nepenthes lingulata, a newly described highland species from North Sumatra, Indonesia. Discovered by Ch'ien Lee, this species is characterised by the long appendage beneath the lid, which hangs down towards the mouth of the pitcher.

The name 'lingulata' is derived from 'lingula', the latin name for tongue.

This species is in cultivation.

More and better photos will be available soon on Ch'ien's website www.wildborneo.com.my

PLEASE NOTE - these photos are copyrighted. Please contact either Ch'ien or myself if you wish to reproduce them.

lingulata_appendage.jpg

Appendage Beneath Lid

lingulata_plant.jpg

Plant in Habitat

lingulata_uppers.jpg

Group of Upper Pitchers in Habitat

lingulata_upper_pair.jpg

Pair of Upper Pitchers in Habitat

Very nice. I personally like the dark colouration. Is that typical for all the plants??

thats definately interesting, i definately adore black pitchers.

you could spent a lifetime figuring out why certain neps evolve the way they do, as opposed to others.

why does hamata have teeth? why does edwardsiana have frills? these appear fairly obvious- nectar drips from the tip of the appendage, causing bugs to fall off, like bicalc. but why are bicalcs sharp and short, and this is long and dull? this is what fascinates me the most about these plants.

Looks like an N. ramispina mutant! Very cool!

God... why do all the best plants live in the highlands!

Time to get a highland chamber!

Do you know if they are hard like N. bicalcarata or relatively soft like th tissue of the pitcher itsself?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Jan. 10 2007,6:53)]thats definately interesting, i definately adore black pitchers.

you could spent a lifetime figuring out why certain neps evolve the way they do, as opposed to others.

why does hamata have teeth? why does edwardsiana have frills?  these appear fairly obvious- nectar drips from the tip of the appendage, causing bugs to fall off, like bicalc.  but why are bicalcs sharp and short, and this is long and dull?  this is what fascinates me the most about these plants.
My first thought was that they're for hooking onto other vegatation and vines to help the plant climb.
Thanks for introducing me to this fantastic new plant Borneo!

Nep G, I was going to say the same thing. Very reminicent of ramspina.

Nice plant.
smile.gif

Actually much more like N. singalana. The peristome and pitcher opening is significantly different on N. ramispina. Very nice and bizarre indeed ;>
Tony

Hi Rob,

many thanks for sharing these pictures!

My first impression was that this plant looks similar to the N. izumiae Andreas shows on his homepage:

nizumiae.jpg

(Link to Andreas homepage)

Although on closer inspection it is quite different.

Cheers Joachim

WOW! great find! i love all these new nep species! how easy is it to grow and how long until its for sale??
Alex

Oh man, The inside coloration is amazing as well. It has these really nice purplish/blue speckles. Do you know about how much he's going to sell it for?

Joachim, Tony, I imagine it's pretty closely related to both N. singalana and N. izumiae but believe there are significant differences other than the appendage, which is a pretty significant feature, I think you'll agree.

Wow another gr8 discovery. Thanx so much for sharing these pictures.
I am enchanted with all black plants. can't wait until tthis one is affordable.
Lois

Back