User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes windowsill growers - assemble!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also add N. sanguinea to that list. I have been growing all my Neps at window sills, with only light that shines through the window. Like Presto, when the photoperiod is at its lowest, they slow down. They produce foliage, but cease pitchering. They reall need extra help for the winter months, like artificial lighting and probably close to a 12 hour daily photoperiod.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have N.ampullaria, N. miranda, N.ventricosa, N. "Judith Finn", N.alata and N. x ventrata in windowsills up here in Canada

Same as you others, the winter sems to slow them down a tad with lower humidity and light, but they don't suffer- I don't really have anywhere else to put them so it's sills or no Neps for me

I also have H.minor and C.follicularis on sills thriving- both are much more impressive than my Neps even now, and my windowsill Pings are kicking out flowers like no tomorrow in the same conditions
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow all my neps on my sill. Even my bical isn't doing all that badly, being winte and all. It did put out one nice pitcher (which is still hanging around) this fall. The only nep that I grow that I am having problems with are my spectabilis and my "black dragon". The spectabilis looked rough when I got it so I can imagine why it doesn't look any better in the winter. The "black dragon" is a bit less "adaptive" for me than what is advertised. It finally may be possibly if I'm lucky giving me my first pitcher. It has though grown three new leaves...
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I currently have growing in the windows here at the lab. Tray system watered every Friday (water is usually gone form the tray by Tuesday)

N. fusca “Sarawak” (originally ABG faizaliana)
    N. veitchii “Stripped peristome; lowland”
    N. clipeata
    N. rafflesiana “Singapore Giant“
    N. spathulata
    N. maxima
    N. neoguineensis
    N. sanguinea
    N. cv. ‘Predator’
    N. cv. ‘Effulgent Koto’ (5778)
    N. cv. ‘Red Leopard’
    N. cv. ‘Ile de France’
    N. cv. ‘Black Dragon’
    N. cv. ‘Sabre’
    N. cv. ‘Red Dragon’
    N. cv. ‘Miranda’
    N. x Judith Finn
    N. (thorellii-JAM x LCS#1 superba-mixta) x 9/12/1983-LCS#1F albomarginata#1 (5850)
    N. (tobica x ovata) x veitchii
    N. spathulata x spectabilis
    N. maxima “dark” x truncata
    N. thorelli x aristolochioides
    N. 25 ABG (may be rafflesiana “red”)
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool Pyro. Any comments on your lab conditions/humidity? Which plants are doing the best/worst?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lab conditions are pretty much ambient. Temp is in the mid 70s, humidity is pretty low and that dose have an effect on the plants in that the pitchers are not as long lasting as they would be in a greenhouse or even outside (which is where most of these go during the summer).

All are doing really well with the possible exception of the x Judith Finn which has always been a pain for me. The absolute best are probably the 'Effulgent Koto' (which I have had here for almost 3 years and in that time I have pruned back the vine when it hits the 8' mark 4 times) and it looks like the 'Ile de France' is going to follow suit because it has put out 8 new leaves in the 3 months it has been in here and I have had to stake it because it went to vine so fast
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have N. sanguinea and N. ventricosa in a crappy terrarium, I think the only different between it and a windowsill is slightly more light and a bit warmer. I just water them like a normal plant every other day, I didn't want to use a tray since I have been warned about sanguineas rotting if left too warm but that steel wool idea seems intruiging. Oh and trashcan, I'd definately reccomend a sanguinea to grow on a windowsill, they're REALLY hardy, mine got attacked by a dog and survived. Now I have two since the dog seperated a basal shoot.

BTW, Pyro, where do you work? (Sorry I'm probably the only one that doesn't know.)
    Last edited by ChronoKiento; 01-16-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added sanguinea
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how do people acclimate plants to the windowsill or house living?

I currently have no windows that get enough sun, but I've been trying to grow a ventrata indoors under a powerful grow-light. It's produced two basals, lots of new leaves, and a huge vine, but no new pitchers. Either humidity is too low, or I need to give it more to cling onto. Which do you guys think? (no idea what the ambient humidity is, probably around 50%)

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast