User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes windowsill growers - assemble!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes windowsill growers - assemble!

Well, I don't really have the option of setting up a terrarium where I live, so I'm going to try growing some Neps in my windowsill. House is air-conditioned, so humidity is almost nil. Window gets a bunch of sun in the evening. I've been reading nepsaroundthehouse for tips and recommended plants.

I purchased:

N. ventricosa
    N. copelandii
    N. ventricosa red x talengensis

If you have any experience with windowsill growing, let me know! I searched for my copy of The Savage Garden, but I failed to find it (lost in storage, probably eaten by rats/birds). I know that Peter discusses it and grows several difficult plants in his windowsill.

Edit: Is the general consensus that manually misting would not help much?
    Last edited by trashcan; 01-11-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: CUZ I CAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use the tray method. keep the pots standing over water. the way i do this is by putting a stainless steel SOS pad in a water tray, and sitting the pot on top of that, and filling the tray up to the bottom of the pot. this should provide enough humidity to keep your plants relatively happy. change the water once in a while though, it can get... alive...
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow N. ventricosa, alata, 'coccinea', and 'ventrata' in windows. They grew really well during the summer; they've slowed down a lot now that it's winter. The ventricosa in particular is (still!) putting out new pitchers like crazy. I grow them in plastic pots with attached water trays (like they sell at home depot for less than a dollar), in pure LFS, and water a few times a week. I also put a fluorescent bulb above the window, since the only light they were getting was tree-filtered morning light. they're almost like normal houseplants.

The biggest drawback is, it's harder to get many of them to pitcher. my N. rafflesiana finally put out a couple of pitchers at the end of the summer, but it's doing much better since I put it in a terrarium. I couldn't get 'Judith Finn' to pitcher at all outside a terrarium. They also won't grow as fast, but that's not such a bad thing if you have limited space..like I do.

I haven't noticed any real difference when I spray them. As long as you keep them watered it may not be necessary.
    -Emily

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I grow as windowsill plants:

Nepenthes aristolochioides
    Nepenthes bicalcarata (Germinated from seed May 04)
    Nepenthes hamata (Borneo Exotics clone)
    Nepenthes Marbled Dragon (N. maxima - dark x N. truncata) (Exotica hybrid)
    Nepenthes rafflesiana
    Nepenthes rajah
    Nepenthes x Rokko clone A x Nepenthes hamata (Germinated from seed June 05)

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gecko, how are they doing? Are they all pitchering? How long did they take to acclimate?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that misting might help, so long as you make sure to do it regularly. Also, with the tray method, a layer of coarse gravel on the bottom of the tray will help the tray water to evaporate faster, creating more humidity than just standing water alone. Take a look at this: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010e.html
    Plants to look for would probably be hirsute and thick-leaved varieties such as vietchii, chaniana, pilosa, petiolata, or truncata, and hybrids of those and other such species. Also, larger, more mature plants will naturally tend to be hardier regardless of variety, so it might be worth it to be choosy and buy a few adult plants rather than a bunch of starts.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, elgecko, thats crazy.

N. aristolochioides/rajah/hamata as windowsill plants!

Whats your house temps like?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that Neps are a lot tougher then they are given credit for.
    When I was first reading about them and the high humidity requirements they need, I thought I would never be able to keep one outside a terrarium.
    Since neps can get large I could not confine the plant into a terrarium. So I started to experiment with growing them as windowsill plants and have had great success with several neps this way.
    It seems that they take around 3 months to really settle and then start pitchering.

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (lower humidity in the day. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants and heats the area up. I have the humidifier on my furnace set to around 45%)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to 64 degrees. (humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the neps. Nights can drop to low 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 30 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: During the day it can hit mid 80's. Night to the low 70's. (I usually have the A/C set around 74)

The only plant that seems to not be 100% happy is the N. rajah. I'm 99% sure that I know why, and that is it desperately needs repotted. My only problem is I need to find room to increase the pot size...........

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast