What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please ID Philippine nep

• Thread starter tsonkiboy
  • Start date
I love the pitcher/leaf ratio it's got going on there.

Is it totally impossible that burkei got friendly with sibuyanensis? Then again I don't see why they'd be in Luzon where neither of them are/have been found, as opposed to Mindoro and Sibuyan. We need Dr. Clarke to write a book on the Philippines and Sulawesi!

Last edited:
That's interesting. Are you quite sure it came from Luzon at 1700 - 1800m? Could there be any mistake there? Certainly looks related to N. sibuyanensis to me. Can you give us any more information? Has anyone taken any herbarium samples?

It's surprising for anything new to come out of Luzon as it's pretty well expored botanically. Still possible though.

I know this sounds far fetched, but could it possibly be the result of seed carried by typhoon (we call them hurricanes) from one of the more southern islands, then deposited on this mountain?
Months after hurricane Andrew devastated Miami, several different Carribean native plants began sprouting around the region. These are plants normally not found in Florida because they will not survive the occasional freeze during winter, and were carried by Andrew from islands further southeast by hundreds of miles.

I know this sounds far fetched, but could it possibly be the result of seed carried by typhoon (we call them hurricanes) from one of the more southern islands, then deposited on this mountain?
Months after hurricane Andrew devastated Miami, several different Carribean native plants began sprouting around the region. These are plants normally not found in Florida because they will not survive the occasional freeze during winter, and were carried by Andrew from islands further southeast by hundreds of miles.

Nice idea Trent but I don't know what the odds would be of a seed being carried all that way AND falling in a place where it could successfully grow AND being a hybrid. If it was a regular occurrence then we would probably have seen this sort of thing before with more common species.

Considering the similarities with N. sibuyanensis and assuming it may be a hybrid with N. sibuyanensis, then what's the other parent? The only hybrids with N. sibuyanensis observed in habitat (at least by me) is with N. argentii. There are however at least 3 different forms of N. alata on Sibuyan Island but they are at lower altitude than N. sibuyanensis and so far as I know hybrids have not been recorded.

We really need to know more about the plnat that was found. Apart from the questions I had earlier, it would be very interesting to know whether there wass a colony of such plants or just the one?

I'm booking a flight to Manila now!

Like earlier in the thread, I do lean towards a new species, but just thought I might throw some other possiblities into the ring.

hi rob,

yes, its from luzon, i went there a few weeks after, saw it, took the altimeter reading.

as in the first set of pictures i posted, they took some plant samples.

yes i can give more information.

there was a small patch. but i didn't roam the area much.

regards,

merlin

Wow, it looks quite a bit like Sibuyanensis.

Back