What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please ID Philippine nep

• Thread starter tsonkiboy
  • Start date
hi everyone, can you help me ID this nep.

ul-1.jpg

ul-2.jpg

ul-3.jpg

thanks

Cool looking nep. :)

Looks like a ventricosa/mira hybrid, but someone else may know for sure.

Good luck!

Nice. Where'd you get it?

"In a Paul Lyne voice" Looks like someone's getting ready for a bubble bath!

philippine location

Plant was collected within luzon island by the collector/nursery.

Well as long as they have the proper permits then I guess no problamo.

Just in case you didn't know, if a facility doesn't have a TC lab and they collect, always make sure they have the proper permits before you buy from them. If they don't please report them.

permits

Well i guess this is turning to be a wildlife act thread rather than a ID'ing thread. I do not own the plant/s. The pictures were mailed to me for identification. They are also not for sale. They wanted me to identify it because they think its a new specie.

No no no, I didn't mean it like that at all. I just care about the wellbeing of Nepenthes in their natural state (not to say that you don't) and it looked like it was taken from the wild is all..

Lol, maybe it is a new species? Ask Tony or BE or Malasiana. Looks like a hybrid involving N. ventricosa to me.

Ventricosa wasnt found in the entire peak, only some form of alata.

N. sibuyanensis? Could also more likely be the hybrid N. merrillana x N. alata (N. x Merrilliata)

Last edited:
I saw this on the other forum, Merlin, and was really perplexed. Thanks for the location info. If it had come from Mindanao I would certainly have said a merrilliana hybrid, but Luzon does put it out of range. Your choices on Luzon are ventricosa, alata and mirabilis, and I don't see a hybrid combining any of these three, especially when looking at the leaf structure and growth habit. It could be an unusual form of ventricosa.
As for new species, it's possible, but it's hard to jump to that conclusion based on a few photos. Would be nice to see photos of several different individual plants. At what altitude does it grow?

when i first looked at it i though N. Sibuyanensis too.... Luzon is where N. alata grows.... i dont see why we couldnt rule out N. x Merrilliata either....
Alex

Merriliata is not found on Luzon.

True, Trent. Silly question though...how far can Nepenthes pollen travel? Probably not wind, but could it be an accidental passenger? Alas, even if that were the case, no way to prove it, eh?
If the collector can get several photos from different plants, as Trent said, and they are all similar, than you may have something indeed.
If we can get Rob Cantley to take a look, I am sure his opinion would be invaluable.

Cheers,

Joe

It was found on 1700-1800 meters asl. I'll try to get the pictures they got from the wild. Merrilliana is found in mindanao which is at the bottom of the country. These neps are found to flourish in the northern part of the country. Ventricosa form... really? I dont see any ressemblance.

Could be some form of ventricosa.
But ventricosa looses its wings with age right?
Your plant is still fairly young.

here are some pictures taken in the wild with some alatas in the same area.

DSCF1246.jpg

DSCF1248.jpg

DSCF1251.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1260.jpg

regards

Sure looks like a possible new species, or Dwarf Highland merrilliana! (just kidding)
Another new insigne from the Philippines!

Interesting plant. Looks closest to sibuyanensis in my eyes, especially with the neck, but the pitchers are not as plump. Leaf shape is similar too. When you say northern part of the country I guess you don't necessarily mean the northern part of Luzon?

What I trying to get at is that Sibuyan Island isn't too far south of Luzon, so maybe these species was related way back in time.

Do you know if they saw many large plants? The photos mostly show young plants, I assume of course they are the same species.

Regards,

Christer

This is good stuff!
What are the pale green uppers from? Are those alata? I have never seen the peristome fold back like that on alata...

Cheers,

Joe

Back