What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blackening tips?

On my N. x 'Ventrata' I have noticed that the tips of the beggining leaves are starting to turn blackish and the tendril and the tip of the leaves are never growing any farther than that.
What's happening? and how can I fix it?

if you mean that the tendril is dying as the leaf develops, try increasing humidity. other then that it could just be a generally unhappy plant. have you changed anything recently? how big is its pot in comparison to the plant itself? could need a bigger one, or even just fresh media.

Could be keeping the medium too wet.

Is it getting enough fresh air? Some of my Neps had problems with rotting tips when I had them in a tightly sealed terrarium without much air movement. What kind of conditions are you providing?
On a tangental note, when asking "Why is my plant doing <blank>?"-type questions, it's important to include lots of detail. You're not just asking a question about your plant - you're asking a question about how you grow your plant. So, if someone is to give you a useful, specific answer, they need to know about the whole setup. Your plant is only a portion of the equation, so to speak; the plant doesn't grow all by itself. It needs light, air and water to derive energy, and nutrients and water to grow, good media to protect the roots, etc., and all of these things influence growth. Without this information, people can tell you lots of things, but all of the advice you get will be based on people guessing about what might be wrong, rather than considering your situation in particular.
I think that asking good questions is a very important general skill, one of the most neglected parts of common sense. I don't mean to rant or lecture about this - I only mention it because you're still in school and at this point these kinds of skills can literally change your life.
Ask good questions, clean up after yourself, and always read the fine print - three things you can never go wrong with.
~Joe

well, I'm currently growing them outside (because it's warm) and the medium isn't constantly wet (made up of 1 part LFS: 1 part Perlite) and the temps are from 85-50 degrees.

Hmm... In your location, I think most any Nep could do OK given time, but it may just be that yours is still adapting to the outdoor conditions. Neps can be picky and I don't think that many of them deal much with seasonal variation in their natural habitat, so it might take longer than normal for your plant to start pitchering. Typically it takes 1-3 months for a Nep to 'settle in,' but in harsh, varied outdoor weather I wouldn't be surprised if it took 6, maybe more. Are the blackened tendrils just dry and undeveloped, or are they rotting? My guess is that your plant is just aborting tendrils as the leaves grow in order to conserve energy, like Meaven mentioned. When the tendrils shrivel up and dry it seems to mean the plant just wants to take a break, in my experience. My plants do the same thing for a few weeks immediately after I repot, and sometimes when I have them out of the terrarium for extended periods of time.
~Joe

the tips or tendrils blacken before the leaf even unfurls.

I just got on here to post the same question! One of my N. x 'Ventrata' is doing the same thing....I am increasing humidity and air circulation but should I cut the blackened tips off or leave them?

Victoria

If its dead, cut it off.

Is it just the tendril dying or is the leaf tip turning black too.

Pictures always help too.

Here are pics of mine.

DSCN1687.jpg

DSCN1691.jpg

Victoria

Victoria: its just adjusting. your next new leaf shouldn't do that...at least mine didnt after about 2 or 3 leaves. but then it may take still longer to make a pitcher. the first one is more of what i saw.... the bottom one is different. what media is it in? how are you watering it?
Alex

I have them in Spagnum (sp?) Peat Moss and I water from the top very slowly so it doesnt disturb anything. I hope it is just adjusting, I am about to start a Nepenthes collection but I want to make sure they will do good for me. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Victoria

id stay away from peat moss. go to lowes and they should have Chilean Sphagnum moss for sale. its dried so all you need to do is get it wet. it is much more airy than peat moss.
the materials i would stick to with nepenthes would be:
Long Fibred Sphagnum moss(New Zealand, Chilean, American)
Perilite
Sand(washed and not river sand. play sand OK)
Orchid bark(its called pine mulch or pine bark in lowes and homedepot. get the smallest size)
Coconut Bark
Coco Fiber or osmunda fiber
i guess you can use peat. but you have to use VERY little. peat compacts very easily and can smother the roots. you want them to "breath" as much as possible. hope this helps
Alex

If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I made up a batch) I use a mix of sand, perlite, long fibered sphagnum, orchid bark, and a bit of peat to hold it all together. My neps seem to love it.

Sand compacts worse than peat. It's no good for Nep-mix..
Peat's good for Low Landers, some of my mixes have quite a bit in it and the plant's obviously happy!
And I use Volcanic Rocks I wash out to open up my mixes a bit as well.
Victoria, the best thing to do is to read up on where the plants you have grow in nature and the substrate they're found in. Plus books like Peter D'Amato's and Barry Rice's and Adrian Slack's are all very helpful.

No one has mentioned water quality as a possible problem.
Water that is from a water softener and not RO filtered will cause Nepenthes tips to blacken, just as too much fertilizer will.
Excess salts can build up in the leaf tip, causing it to burn, and then fungus sets in.

Thanks everyone for the advise....I am changing out my media tonight. I read the book by Peter but still have a lot of research to do yet, does anyone have any goods websites with lots of info or names of books that are good to read? No worries Dianaea Cupped Trap....I use RO for all my CPs.

Victoria

Back