Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blackening tips?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blackening tips?

On my N. x 'Ventrata' I have noticed that the tips of the beggining leaves are starting to turn blackish and the tendril and the tip of the leaves are never growing any farther than that.
    What's happening? and how can I fix it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you mean that the tendril is dying as the leaf develops, try increasing humidity. other then that it could just be a generally unhappy plant. have you changed anything recently? how big is its pot in comparison to the plant itself? could need a bigger one, or even just fresh media.
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be keeping the medium too wet.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

--steve

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it getting enough fresh air? Some of my Neps had problems with rotting tips when I had them in a tightly sealed terrarium without much air movement. What kind of conditions are you providing?
    On a tangental note, when asking "Why is my plant doing ?"-type questions, it's important to include lots of detail. You're not just asking a question about your plant - you're asking a question about how you grow your plant. So, if someone is to give you a useful, specific answer, they need to know about the whole setup. Your plant is only a portion of the equation, so to speak; the plant doesn't grow all by itself. It needs light, air and water to derive energy, and nutrients and water to grow, good media to protect the roots, etc., and all of these things influence growth. Without this information, people can tell you lots of things, but all of the advice you get will be based on people guessing about what might be wrong, rather than considering your situation in particular.
    I think that asking good questions is a very important general skill, one of the most neglected parts of common sense. I don't mean to rant or lecture about this - I only mention it because you're still in school and at this point these kinds of skills can literally change your life.
    Ask good questions, clean up after yourself, and always read the fine print - three things you can never go wrong with.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I'm currently growing them outside (because it's warm) and the medium isn't constantly wet (made up of 1 part LFS: 1 part Perlite) and the temps are from 85-50 degrees.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... In your location, I think most any Nep could do OK given time, but it may just be that yours is still adapting to the outdoor conditions. Neps can be picky and I don't think that many of them deal much with seasonal variation in their natural habitat, so it might take longer than normal for your plant to start pitchering. Typically it takes 1-3 months for a Nep to 'settle in,' but in harsh, varied outdoor weather I wouldn't be surprised if it took 6, maybe more. Are the blackened tendrils just dry and undeveloped, or are they rotting? My guess is that your plant is just aborting tendrils as the leaves grow in order to conserve energy, like Meaven mentioned. When the tendrils shrivel up and dry it seems to mean the plant just wants to take a break, in my experience. My plants do the same thing for a few weeks immediately after I repot, and sometimes when I have them out of the terrarium for extended periods of time.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tips or tendrils blacken before the leaf even unfurls.

The ignorance of man stains the land! Victoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got on here to post the same question! One of my N. x 'Ventrata' is doing the same thing....I am increasing humidity and air circulation but should I cut the blackened tips off or leave them?

Victoria
    They are slowly and painfully killing you.....did you know that?

How brainwashed are you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast