Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nep sprouts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    The reason I ask is because in my primitive seed growing setup I see some very small little green "lines."
    Yeah, I spotted some green coming up a couple days ago, but when I took a closer look it was just grass seedlings.

Maybe its just my imagination but it does seem like the buldge in the seeds is swelling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Win XVART,
    The seedling of nepenthes in the photos you have seen were mine.
    Have fun with your little babies!

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am attempting to sprout several (@10) varieties using 3" clear fast food containers with tight fitting lids. I drilled holes in the top for some circulation. These are sitting in a standard 11x21" garden flat with 2 20W flourescent tubes laying across the flat. They are on 24hr light with a reptile heat mat underneath. The temps range from 82F - 95F as the mat cycles on/off hourly. I am using finely shredded LFS kept moist. I have had a few successes, but patience seems to be CRITICAL.

Keep us informed with your progress!
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CP30 View Post
    Keep us informed with your progress!
    Will do! This will be the first place I tell!

Quote Originally Posted by CP30 View Post
    They are on 24hr light with a reptile heat mat underneath.
    Is 24 hr light critical? Mine are on 14 hours right now which will become 15 in the next week sometime.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've had seeds germinate in 2 weeks (fresh seeds of n. mira)
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phissionkorps View Post
    i've had seeds germinate in 2 weeks (fresh seeds of n. mira)
    Any tips? Or just lucky?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the same seeds are you xvart and I've been checking mine lots and also spraying them lots as well. I spray them every time it starts to get dry and then eventually the whole thing gets dry somehow so I use my professional CP watering container (a gatorade sports bottle) and just gently moisten the LFS with that, then I just keep misting it daily until it dries out again. I keep mine uncovered and I look at the seeds daily to see any little babies but none yet.

Mine are in....only 11 1/2 hour lighting?!!? Crap! *adds another 2 hours* Jeez I need to check that more often. x_x So mine are under 13 1/2 hours of lighting.. I'm not really sure that it matters that much but yeah the more the merrier I suppose.

I've also noticed that the little bulge in the center seems to be swelling a bit on some of the seeds but I fear that it is just my anticipation getting the best of me. :/
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the most important thing is freshness. If the seeds are more than a few weeks old (depdning on species), you probably wont get any germination, or will have a very low germination rate (like 4%). The way I do my seeds is by sowing them on a mixture of meat/perlite/vermiculite. In my opinion, sphag is a horrible medium for nep seedlings, not only can it choke out the seedling, but there will more than likely be root damage when you eventually repot. Also, the only pots ive ever had that sprouted liverworts were filled with sphag...but maybe thats not a problem for anyone else.

Anyway, I keep the pots very close to the lights (about 3"). I just have the pots in one of those plastic portable greenhouse things. I water every day to ensure the soil stays constantly moist, and every once in a while (though im not sure if this helps) mist all inside the greenhouse. I'd stay away from keeping the pots in ziplock bags or anything. Not only does it block out a significant (though not huge) amount of light, but a small, closed, damp environment is just asking to be plagues with fungi/liverworts/mold/etc

I keep temps about 74 in the day, and around 62 or so at night. Seeds are on an 16 hour photoperiod.

Right now I've got a few mira growing, a pretty good sized splendiana x rokko, and a bunch of other seeds that havent germinated yet (rajah, benstoneii, truncata, and some randomers)
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast