Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nep sprouts?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nep sprouts?

So I have never attempted to grow anything from seed before; but, thanks to one of Tropics NOID nep giveaways I was lucky enough to receive "a few." I've heard it sometimes takes a while for seeds to germinate and start to grow, but what do they actually look like when they first start?

The reason I ask is because in my primitive seed growing setup I see some very small little green "lines." I've seen lots of cute little nep seedlings with tiny little pitchers, but what do they look like before this stage? I would bet that it is just some sort of moss growing; but, was hoping maybe this is just the seed starting the first bit of growth to set into the soil. I wish I could post a picture, but I don't have my camera right now. If this doesn't get solved I will try and get my hands on a camera to post a picture.

Basically, it looks like a tiny little green string a little less than a cm long. There are a few all over. Thanks for the help; and if they are actually neps starting growth and not some crappy moss I'll have a few to trade away later (much later! lol.).

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like this!
    Nep germination
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that link. I guess I could've found that myself. I took a closer look and it is just moss, I think. How dissappointing. Oh well, it was a little too soon anyway. Thanks again, glider.

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

Xvart, what conditions are you keeping your seeds in?
    I too am going through my first Nep seed growing experience and even after reading tons of info I still don’t feel prepared! I am keeping my seed in a long rubber maid container that has a layer of peat moss at the bottom and thick layer of LFS at the top. I give them as much indirect sunlight and direct artificial light as possible. They are misted twice a day and kept on the “warm” side of my room. Oh yeah I keep the container covered at night. Hopefully I’ll have success with germination within a couple months…
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    joosa,

I converted some old distilled water containers (recycling baby!) into little containers with only LFS in it. I have these under four 4' florescent lights. Each container is in a larger plastic zip-lock bag to keep the moisture in. I first tried to keep them without the covers because I was worried about stagnant air but they were drying out too quickly; so, I take them out for a while each day (or every other day) for a while and circulate some air into the bags and around the plants. At the very least I open the bags and circulate some air every day. It's a pretty primitive setup; but, considering I don't have a lot of alternatives I hope it works. I just don't have the space necessary or the optimal conditions.

It's pretty time (and energy) consuming trying to germinate them this way; and I'm afraid that it won't work and I've spent this time wasting precious growing space. Who knows, it's kind of exciting, to say the least. Each day I hope for a little sprout, but I'm sure I won't see anything like that for months!

Keep me posted on how yours do. What are the parent plants of your seeds?

At least I know I can grow some sort of moss this way!

xvart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cyclopse

The parent female was rafflesiana. The male plant is unknown, although it is highly likely that it was another rafflesiana… we’ll see.

At least I know I can grow some sort of moss this way!
    Funny, that’s what I initially thought when I started mine… I’m like, “Heck, if this doesn’t work, at least I’ll have a good amount of live moss by the time spring comes around.”
    I wish you luck. If you do get sudden success by changing any of your growing conditions, make sure you let us know!
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys, bear in mind that nep seeds take at LEAST three weeks to sprout (and that's rocket-fast), and can take up to several MONTHS. Rule #1 with anything nep related: Patience is a virtue.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schloaty View Post
    Hi Guys, bear in mind that nep seeds take at LEAST three weeks to sprout (and that's rocket-fast), and can take up to several MONTHS. Rule #1 with anything nep related: Patience is a virtue.
    lol. Yeah, I knew they sometimes took forever, but I wasn't sure if they sometimes sprouted quicker. Three weeks minimum, eh? I think I can handle it. I'll wager it's going to be many months, though. Thanks, schloaty.

xvart.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast