Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cricket VS mealworm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about red worms or wax worms? Sorry if I just hijacked the thread but I have tons of those for my pets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waxworms, IIRC, are even higher in fat than mealworms, but I don't know about red worms. Worth a try, I guess.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mokele,
    I had no idea mealworms were that high in fat. I "assumed" crickets were actually higher. My bad. I think the probelm with mealies for animals is they gulp them down w/o killing them, and they can do some internal damage that way.
    No doubt on the waxies for being fatty. Are red worms ..like the small type of earth worm? That might work in a Nep, but even a tiny chunk does really bad in a VFT. Rots the trap. I would think a earth worm would be worse than a waxie.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a reptile site.

Mealworms are slightly higher in protein (19%) and much higher in fat (14%) than crickets. As a result, they will promote more rapid growth than a diet of only crickets. Although numbers vary from study to study, Ca:P ratios for mealworms range from .07:1 to .33:1.

Keep in mind that mealworms have a hard shell made a material call chitin. Some animals produce an enzyme that quickly breaks down these shells, but nonetheless, mealworms can be difficult for baby or weakened reptiles to digest.

Here is the rest:

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/g...rous-reptiles/

Nothing on red worms here..

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have rotted pitchers with both meal and wax worms. The fat is probably the cause, but portioning may also have been the culprit. I have used crickets - live and canned - with no harm, but I was more careful with portion size. I like Joe's idea of variety, it seems to make sense. My neps outside catch a huge variety of bugs and seem to grow better than those inside that I hand feed (mostly goldfish or koi pellets).
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually feed my neps with mealworms and do not seem to have the rotting problem. Each newly opened pitcher gets one worm
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feed my neps with bigger traps each a large cricket from the can o crickets they sell at the pet store.I have no rotting problems. I keep them in the freezer.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12