What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby Hamata outside in full sun

Last year I had a ventrata outside in full sun and one inside by a east window. The one outside grew way better. So this year I'm going to put the predator outside along with all my others. The only one I'm kinda worried about is the hamata that is still very small. Would it be better to leave it in the grow tank or outside with the rest of them and the guard dogs? I do have a Predator to protect here people.

grow tank. Even small fluctuations in humidity will kill a hamata less than 6" across

N. hamata can only tolerate harsher conditions (less than ideal) when it is adult and acclimatized. Its asking for a dead plant to put a juvenile plant out of doors.

grow tank. Even small fluctuations in humidity will kill a hamata less than 6" across

I gotta disagree. I have a tiny 3" Hamata that has dealt with 100+ degree temps and 30% humidity with ease. It defiantly hates me for it, but it's still alive and growing. You don't HAVE to treat a baby Hamata like it's this extremely delicate thing, it's a lot tougher than that. I would think it's gonna hate you for a bit, but it should come around.

Well the thing is when I got it last may/june it had two pitchers but only the two leaves. I had it by the window and it didn't do anything. Now since I moved it to the grow tank under the better lights and longer light periods it's growing new leaves slowly and on the ends it looks like a pitcher wants to grow but won't. I was thinking maybe that with the summer humidity and night temperature drops it and real sun it would grow better. I don't want to stunt it by bringing it outside and have to bring it in just as it's adjustingand have to do it all over again. What should I do?

I've found that hamata likes shadier conditions outdoors. I've grown some smaller guys into larger plants outdoors with some success. I have a small hairy hamata under shade cloth outdoors and it's doing fine. I believe it will grow more slowly compared to other growers growing hamata in optimal highland conditions. If it's your only hamata, then you might not want to gamble with it. My conditions outdoors seem to be okay without having the plant go south immediately. But since I read a thread about hamata preferring more shaded conditions, my plants have done better by moving them out of direct sunlight outdoors. Sounds cool that you're experimenting outdoors.

Joel
http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Back