User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At what point is a nep a lost cause?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At what point is a nep a lost cause?

I just recently got back into collecting CPs... I'd been gone too long!

Now I have a great 55 gallon tank set up as well as several window sill plants.

I have 4 neps:

1) Nepenthes Masagascariensis
    2) Nepenthes Judith Finn
    3) Nepenthes ventricosa
    4) An unidentified highlander

Problem is, I am not sure which is which... doh!

Anyway, two of them sit on my window sill getting very little direct light but plenty of bright, indirect light that is boosted with a flourescent light. THey both seem to be slowly adjusting to the wondowsill.

Of the two that I keep in the terrarium, one is doing great.

But the other one is looking kinda sad. It's leaves aren't firm at all, kind of papery and wilted. It doesn't seem to be growing very well, if at all. None of the leaves have turned black or yellow, but it just doesn't look good

So my question is:

When is it safe to say the plant is beyond saving?

And are there any steps that I can take to save the lil guy? I realize it is difficult to advise when I can't even tell you what kind of nep it is... but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... if you told us temperatures, light , humidity, media, etc we could help more.

A nepenthes has to be pretty bad to be beyond saving.. and a few nepenthes have papery leaves anyways.

Do they have pitchers? If they do you could post pics. Even if not we could try to ID them by the leaves.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, a Nep is a lost cause two to three months after the entire thing is brown and crisp. However, if the growth tip goes brown and mushy, the situation is more dire, and it might be toast even if the leaves are still green in spots.
    Nepenthes Around the House has a nice index of species with photos and descriptions - you should look there and see if you can't match up any of your plants. Also, if you have a camera available, you might post some pictures so we can try and ID your plants.
    Since your plants are evenly split between highlanders and lowlanders, I would try to get them all into the terrarium and create a stable intermediate environment. Your plants probably won't grow at their maximum speed in this kind of setup, but it will allow you to rehab them with minimal trouble. Aim for moderate humidity (50-80%) and gentle air circulation (either by leaving the top open or adding a small fan,) and try to maintain a constant temperature of 65-70 degrees F day and night. These temps are cool enough to please highlanders, and steady conditions day-round are usually enough to convince lowlanders. If you can find some Superthrive at your local garden store, you might try watering with some of that too - Superthrive is a B-vitamin supplement for plants that encourages rooting and helps diminish shock.
    Like Clint said, more info would be really helpful. Best luck!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned that you could save a nep after a few months of being completely brown. How do you do that exactly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    How do you do that exactly?
    You turn it into cuttings and hope that a dormant node turns into a new growth point. Also, you might have basal grows underground that can be brought to the surface for light and grow an new plant on the existing root system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm...

The nep is kept in my terrarium (as mentioned, 55 gallon tank). I have 4 flourescent tubes providing light. Two of the tubes are Ott-Lite full spectrums, one is a GE full spectrum, and I also use one Verilux.

I don't provide any additional heating (or cooling) for the tank. It gets warm and humid in there during the day (sorry, I can't provide temps at this point... still awating my digital thermometer). The tank is pretty humid!, the front window fogs up with condensation (I'm also still awaiting my terrarium fans...).

I keep a bunch of sundews (capensis, adelae, multifida extrema, filiformis ssp traci, binata) in there and they are doing great.

I also have a bunch of 'traps in there just for now. I will move them and the sarracenias outside in a month or two.

All of the plants in the terrarium are doing great except the nep.

Also, the nep is in whatever medium the plant was sent in. (It was either purchased from ********** or CC)

I guess this probably doesn't provide enough info to really give me advice on saving the plant...

For now, I've removed it from the tanks and placed it on a grow shelf (actually a converted book shelf) under a couple of 24 inch Ott-Lite tubes.

Here are a few pics, though I doubt they are good enough to help identify the plants:

Remember, I know that I have a Nepenthes Masagascariensis, Nepenthes Judith Finn, Nepenthes ventricosa, An unidentified highlander

I just don't know which is which...

This is the plant that is doing great in the tank:

Here is a closer look at a new pitcher:

This is one of my windowsill neps, you can see he struggled to adapt (yellow leaves) but seems to be slowly coming around:

Another windowsill plant, doing pretty well. I have assumed this to be the Vetricosa:

Here is the sad looking one that I'm concerned about:

Here is the tank that the sad looking one and thriving nep live in. The sick nep is the second from the right on the bottom. The thriving nep is just above it and to the left:

And here is my bookshelf/grow shelf (that's a D. Binata in there). This is where I was going to put the sick nep to see if a change would do it good

Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sad looking nep looks like it is in shock, but it could be just a change in its environment. How long have you had it?

Did this nep dry out and you are now giving it more water? I would trim off some of the lower leaves and perhaps add some live LFS to the potting media around the base of the plant. Do you allow it to sit in a full water dish your terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the nep for about two month, maybe a little more. The other 3 neps seem to have adjusted ok. The two windowsill plants started off in the tank, but then after checking out nepenthesaroundthehouse.com, I decided to give the windowsill a try.

So this is the only one that isn't doing well.

None of my plants ever completely dry out... ever.

I'll let all of the neps get close to dry before watering again.. I keep the soil moist but not water-logged. I don't allow water to sit in the tray as I do with my other CPs.

I thought that perhaps the heat and/or humidity of the terrarium was part of the problem, so I moved it to the shelf (as seen in the last pic of my above post) to see if it will be ok there...

Do you think I should return it to the terrarium as seedjat recommended? I'll look for some superthrive next time I head out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast