What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So why does my muluensis x lowii hate me?

Come to think about it all my neps beside my hamata, tentaculata, and muluensis x lowii have pitcherd like crazy since I moved them to the grow tank. Why do these three hate me so much? The hamata and tentaculata look like they have pitcher buds but the muluensis x lowii just stares at me with hatred. The temps are about 86 at most during the day and get down to about 69 or low 70's at night. Humidity is about 60-70ish during the day and at night 95 with a humidifier. I have two CF of 23 watts each. They say they are replacements for 100 watts. Natural daylight, very bright. About 14 hours a day on a timer. I'm not sure what else to say about them. Thanks for any advice on getting them to like me a little more.

Those plants are all strictly highlanders. 70s are the high side of a daytime temp. for those plants, really - they're all from upper elevations where you're looking at lows in the 50s and highs rarely exceeding 80. N. muluensis x lowii did best for me when my power went out and the terrarium hovered between 55 in the day and 40 at night. You might also think about getting a more powerful light - those little 23W CFs don't really pack as much of a punch as you'd hope because the lamps aren't built very efficiently.
~Joe

Well I don't get it. They grow new leaves but if it's too hot they won't pitcher? I don't know how to cool it down without losing the humidity during the time the lights are on. I used a fan to get some air circulation but the humidity dropped way down to 25 and killed the little tentaculata pitcher forming. I thought the lights were pretty good seeing as though everything else is growing like crazy, my red dragon seedlings are deep dark red, and my sundews are full of dew. The ceph is even getting red with them.

If it's too hot or dry, many Neps will stop pitchering to decrease their water needs. 80s aren't strictly too hot, but Neps from really high elevations really need a sharp temperature drop to rest each evening. In their native habitats, this nightly drop is an absolute rule; it happens every day, regardless of daily storms or decades-long heat waves. Ultra-highland Neps just aren't designed for anything else. If you can't provide those types of conditions, you'd be better off trying species from lower elevations. That said, it's very doable; you can rig a miniature refridgerator to cool your terrarium, or get a humidifier and pipe in humidified outdoor air in the night time to get a good drop. Air conditioners work, too. If you do a little searching I'm sure you'll find that people have overcome this type of problem before.
If the humidity drops to 25% when you turn a fan on, then you probably need a humidifier, or at least an open tray of water to moisten the air some. Or you need a smaller fan. Neps like good air circulation, but you don't necessarily need strong air circulation; a gentle breeze is more that enough so long as the entire enclosure gets fresh air.
Your setup may work very well for your other plants, but keep in mind that ultra-highland Neps are called such because they grow at elevations of 2000m+, where the atmosphere is thinner and there is less cloud cover. If I recall correctly, a lot of these types of Neps grow in clearings or on hillsides where there is minimal shade from overhanging vegetation. So basically, they may like things a little brighter than the average CP. Plants like Cephs, VFTs and Cape Sundews grow amongst low brush near sea level, so the conditions aren't quite the same.
~Joe

Eh, my highlanders are going fine in my GH which gets sometimes into the 90's durring the day (when it's bright and sunny), but ALWAYS gets down in to the mid 50's sometimes even the 40's at night.

They are starting to do better now with the return of the sun- I think your problem is two fold - they need that night time temp drop, and they need more light.

You have a hamata, tentaculata, and muluensis x lowii in your GH? Do you have lights or just use the sun. I hope that doesn't sound dumb but I guess some people use lights in their GH.

Back