What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying a no-sphagnum mix.

Huh - I just use LFS mixed with Schultz orchid mix (which has bark, pummice, lava rock...all sorts of stuff). Gives chunk, water retention, drainage and air flow (if I use enough of the orchid mix, like with certain highlanders). I have a bag of vermiculite, but I really don't use it....Does it work for neps? I always though it made the soil more basic, and most neps prefer some acidicy....

Vermiculite is kind of a buffer for plants which like a touch of nutrients. Vermiculite doesn't have a bunch to offer, but it does give some. I've used it with perlite to germinate seedlings with great results. It kind of hinders algae growth so the seedlings have a more friendly rooting surface.

Dustin- you're right about vermiculite helping prevent algae growth. I have ground it up into a powder and top dressed my pots of terrestrial Utrics. with it and I wouldn't get any of that nasty green slime on the soil surface. Worked like a charm.

Back