Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GUESS WHO'S BAC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice so are u trying to say plant in lfs? and have live on top... also is the soil mixture pure lfs? or like other stuff in it like coconut husk or whatever that stuff is
    I love nepenthes

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EVERYONE has a favorite mix. Some are complicated and some are simple. The mix can depend on the species and your personal conditions.

Mine is 1/1/1 fir bark/perlite/LFS. For others it might be straight LFS or LFS and mulch or peat and perlite and lava rock... you get the idea.

You can have LFS on top if you want. It looks nice

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, isnt perlite that white rock... like lava rock... its really light and bad to breathe in
    I love nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also would anyone like to post their setup for their nepenthes? as in the indoor ones that are in terrariums either home built or just glass tanks bought
    I love nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with half lfs and half chunky stuff as your mix. The chunky stuff can be orchid bark, perlite, pumice, charcoal, whatever you have. But make it at least half chunky stuff or the lfs gets too wet and turns to mush. You can put live lfs as a topdressing, but in Colorado, good luck. Use your shower curtains, but make sure there's air movement! Get a little fan or something. Neps don't like stagnant air.

Here's my setup. We have cool humid air here so I don't have to enclose the shelves in any way.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incidentally, I'm trying a new mix with no lfs at all. It's cedar mulch and pumice/charcoal:

This needs to be watered more and may not be right for your dry climate. If you get good humidity in your enclosure, though, you might want to try it.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be silly, Clint. Everybody likes lowii because it hunts bird poop!
    Welcome back, jmenprkr. I don't have much advice about growing Neps that you probably haven't already heard, but I can tell you that Ott-Light sucks and is not worth the extra cash. Just get ordinary tubes. If you really want to max out what you're getting from your lights, change them at least every six months. Expensive lights might be a tiny bit brighter, but all fluorescent tubes quickly decline in overall output as they age, and you lose more from age than you can hope to get back with nicer bulbs. Also, someone here (I think it might've been Clint, actually) recently suggested cleaning your tubes regularly to remove dust and other light-flitering funk.
    Of course, if you feel like doing a little extra work, you can go with Fluorex fixtures - these are a special name-brand of high-output compact fluorescent, and they're much more powerful and cost effective than ordinary T12 fluorescents. I have two in my bedroom and it's like waking to an angry desert sun every morning. Harder to find and you have to wire on an appliance cord (they come set-up for mounting as outdoor floodlamps, so no wall plug) but you can find them for cheap - I got mine for $30 a piece with bulbs - and they'll save power in the long run.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate using LFS. I think the stuff sucks and sucks hard. I have never noticed anti-anything properties...except anti-being good. In all the different mixes that i've ever used, ones topped with lfs are the only ones to ever also grow mold/fungus/liverworts/anything else bad. If you want to keep unwanteds out of your media, vermiculite does the same thing, and as far as I've seen, does it way better. I use 1:1:1 peat/vermiculite/perlite. Other good ingredients can include cedar mulch, orchid bark, and lava rock. I've been on a crusade against LFS recently, but thats because if you ask anyone why they use it, their answer is either "because everyone else does", or because "it is antifungal". From what I've seen with my own eyes, as aforementioned, I'd render that as hearsay...never seen ANY evidence to support that claim
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast