Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GUESS WHO'S BAC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question GUESS WHO'S BAC

Hey All,

After a long experimentation with "things" i have come back to CPs . I have thrown away all of my old plants a long time ago and my terrarium too. I am looking to go back into Nepenthes strictly with maybe one of some of the others.

I am most likely going to build a rack/shelf area, covered in clear shower curtains and florescent lighting. Is ottlite all it's cracked up to be, or should i just go with the normal 2 bulb things.

Also I remember alot of the names and things for nepenthes but i forget which are the hardier of the species. I know highlands are harder, but I think they are cooler, and would rather base my terrarium off of the temperature that highlands need.

Growing outside is not an option because i live in Colorado and it freezes, and is really dry up here.

So ya, any comments or helpful hints u guys want to give is gladly accepted. I am experienced but also lost a lot of my memory thanks to my "experimentation" so yeah.

Glad to be back
    I love nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey welcome back! See, you can never really get away from cps. They come back to haunt your dreams.

Anyway, keep it simple. Stick with the 2-bulb 4-foot fluorescent units. But use two of them so you have four bulbs per shelf. (Get one of those chrome shelf units from Costco. They're $70 but should go for twice that.

Anyway, on what to grow. Simple, you can grow almost any nepenthes this way in your home with the exception of the ones on either extreme. So grow pretty much any hybrid that looks cool to you. There are hundreds of them out there - almost all far better looking than the boring N. x Ventratas. I once got a N. hirsuta x veitchii as a giveaway, and didn't think anything of it. It's a great plant!! It sits in my windosill, and outgrows the N. ventricosa next to it. Speaking of ventricosa, get one! They're cheap and widely available, and vastly underrated as a result. And you can get a lot of hybrids cheap if you look around a bit. PM me if you want specifics.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, ya I'm really liking the bical look and lowii... i remember lowii is expenisve and high matenence and ya, i also like the ampullarias (SP) and ya so thanks!!

would live LFS work better than LFS? also whats ur opinions on peat?
    I love nepenthes

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people like N. lowii so much? It looks like a deformed bagpipe. Unfortunately you can't grow them together.

LFS work better than LFS.... I've never thought about that one. I dunno what capslock thinks of peat but I hate it for nepenthes. I like 1/1/1 LFS/fir bark/perlite.

And with that said, I'm going to PM you about what your mysterious experiment of mystery was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why JLAP? because its so unusual. if lowii had different pitchers i dont think i would want one. i want one though and as soon as my B-day comes around im getting one of those shelves. ill grow neps, pings, utrics, dews...and more!!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao, how can you know if you'd want one before you know what it looks like?

Yeah it IS unusual. It looks like a literal stomach on a vine. I guess I partly dislike it because they very frequently look a little twisted and misshapen. I love the structure of the leaves and vine, though. I like the lowers, too. The secretions and protrusions are great.

Protrusions and secretions are fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey i meant to say live LFS or just normal dead lfs... like is there a diff really?
    I love nepenthes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Live LFS grows and has antifungal properties. Not sure if the dead has antifungal properties... but the life does fo shizzle. It'll die once it's covered up anyway;there's no light under the media and then it'll become dead LFS with life Sphagnum growing on top. I never understood why people plant in live LFS for any other reason that you can grow it yourself.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast