Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about coloring up my N. Sanguinea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    Most pitchers get more colorful as time progresses. For example, my 'black dragon' doesn't turn dark until it is fully developed. My sanguinea also doesn't start getting reds in it until after the pitcher has opened.

You can see in the second picture how there is more color. It just takes time. You could also add more lights.

xvart.
    Any idea how long N. Sanguinea takes to grow that large? I ask because I just received one and I've never grown nepenthes before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow your in for a treat! the size increase is amazing on it CC!! ill get size comparisons on mine. the little pitcher in the right hand corner was the one it came with and the only one on it when it came in december. from december to now the pitchers have increased from 1.75(approx)inches to what you see with the one im holding. the new one(about to open...possibly tomorrow) is 4.25(approx)inches tall!! and that may be generous!!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slau View Post
    I think weather has a small part to play too. With the sanguinea here they arent as colorful cause our weather doesnt have the night time drop. They were more colorful when they arrived from BE. Sanguinea is very tough so its already a bonus that it survives the ultra lowland condition here. Adrianii isnt as colorful here as well. It colors up better in intermediate temps.

Ohh could you elaborate? I just got an orange one and am apprehensive as my conditions are ultra lowland. Does it "survive" or "thrive"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a much older sanguinea than that...looks to me like it has to do with age. Look at the first pic, the pitcher is mostly green. Look at gliders pic, and the pitchers are considerably more colorful. My plant lost the pitchers that were on it when I first got it, but it was even more orange than glider's
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

slau
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Ohh could you elaborate? I just got an orange one and am apprehensive as my conditions are ultra lowland. Does it "survive" or "thrive"?
    No worries mate. Sanguinea is a tough bugger. The shipment came in from BE and I took mine and potted it up exposing it to full sun. It didnt even flinch. I lost some of the older pitchers but nothing more and it continued growing like nothing happened.

Keep in mind that BE grows it in intermediate conditions and my ultra lowland conditions are low 90s in the shade and warmer daily. Especially if its in the full sun, then the temperature shoots off much higher. The relative humidity here is 90% by night and 30% - 70% during the day. I didnt bother to bag it up to acclimatize it or try and slowly warm it up to my conditions by putting it in a shady spot first. I just threw it out in the sun on the first day and it grew. Don't try this with any other nep though. Sanguinea grows out in the sun in its natural conditions. I can't say the same if you try this on a northiana.... muahahahahahah!

More important for neps is air circulation. I've given many of my continuously pitchering rafflesianas and gracilis to some of my friends and the plants just stop pitchering. The difference in growing conditions is I leave mine outdoors while some of them grow theirs indoors or in areas with low amounts of air circulation. Some how the neps don't like the stagnant air.

Go figure, neps arent tillandsia...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Growth rate

Quote Originally Posted by glider14 View Post
    wow your in for a treat! the size increase is amazing on it CC!! ill get size comparisons on mine. the little pitcher in the right hand corner was the one it came with and the only one on it when it came in december. from december to now the pitchers have increased from 1.75(approx)inches to what you see with the one im holding. the new one(about to open...possibly tomorrow) is 4.25(approx)inches tall!! and that may be generous!!
    Alex
    Wow. That's amazing! I just got mine. It came without pitchers and is just now forming one. It's about 2 inches, maybe a little less. Seems to still be growing. I hope my plant behaves the same. Also helps me judge if I'm giving it enough light.

So how big can these pitchers get?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobalt Crow, they can get to be about the size of a liter soda bottle.

JLAP,

I grow mine in my apt in Atlanta and don't have any problems. It even "bleeds". I plan on moving it outside once the pollen stops. All my temperate plants are yellow.
    Updated Growlist!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic guys, thanks! Very reassuring.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast