What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Globosa needs help

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
Hi Everybody,

I traded for a N. Globosa about 7cm across. It's leaves are turning brown only on the edges and the new leaves of the plant are pale. Currently I keep it in my lowland terrarium where the humidity is above 90%. I keep the plant in a bit of water. The temps in the terrarium are good enough for my N. Bicalcarata, as it's over a foot across. I don't know what to do, is N. Globosa highland :blush: ?? Should I mist it? Thanks for your help

- Jeff

I also just got a viking/globosa, and I need some help on growing condition.
there is very little info on this nep on the web.
Peace,
Zero

Keep it in lowland conditions. Mine did the same thing, but worse and is now coming back.

So should I keep it in a tray of water, or just wait it out? Should I water it overhead often instead? Thanks

- Jeff

Don't put it in a tray. Just threat it like any other nepenthes. I'm not an expert lmao, this is just what I was doing. 2 or 3 of the leaves dried up pretty fast and the growth point was almost snapped off when it arrived, but now it's slowly making it's new (damaged) leaf. I suspect that after this hump and it gets settled in it will take off.

Thanks I'll remove it from the water right away then! :-O

- Jeff

Heres some advice I sent to someone else earlier:

Keep humidity constantly extremely high, it seems to need it in order to make good sized pitchers
Keep the temperature really high...like low 90s.
It does well in medium to extremely bright light, but seems to prefer a pretty bright light, and the leaves should go really red.
I'd stay away from LFS in the mix. I use cedar mulch/peat/perlite/vermiculite. I wouldn't say this species likes sitting in water, but it needs to be consistently pretty wet.

Hmm...thats pretty much all the areas I can think of right now
I find it to be a pretty easy plant. Good luck with it!

If you follow those guidelines, the thing should take off and be fine. Mine has 6 growing points :p

globosa

mine are kept under 2 shop lights with 2 bulbs per light.. they are 6" away from the lights..i water them every 4days..when i water them i let the water come out the bottom until it fills the saucer about 2" deep..wait 4 days water again..the water evaps quickly outa the saucer..hum/75%-80% temp 78-82degrees..i also keep them in lfs moss and orcid bark..plant the globosa in the bark then put lfs moss about 3" thick around the top of the bark..it helps support the plant also..check out my stuff if you want.. http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/blkauratus/?sc=1&multi=15
rich

JustLikeAPill glad yours is precking up..
zero hope some of this info helps..
these are great plants once they get to growing......

Last edited:
This is on the 14th. Notice how the growth point is almost snapped off.

DSC01476.jpg

This is today, on the 32st. The growth point has recovered and there are 2 new leaves coming out. One is still inside the other. I expect the third or 4th leaf to be normal.

DSC01659.jpg

I wonder how big it will be in a year?

The other cutting is from Phission and looks about the same as when I got it.

Big one is a grade A, little one is a B to B+. Temps are your standard lowland. low 90's, 95% humidity. I had it in shade while it recovered and now it's back under the metal halide.

Why not use LFS in the mix?
JLAP, was your plant red when you got it?
mine is all green, it's about 3 in from my floro lights with direct sunlight in the morning to early afternoon. I have only had it for a couple of days.

Because there are better things than LFS, and this species grows on islands that don't have LFS, and has been found growing even in sand.

I just noticed on my globosa that I cut, it sprouted 2 new growing points already. My plant sprouts new growing points like theres no tomorrow. I think this is officially its 7th or 8th, and I've only cut the plant twice, but from the same place. Maybe its cultivar time...I wanna see how it acts for clint first tho

Because Phission said not to use it haha. It does have sphagnum in it instead of peat, but it was blended up in a blender (where else shall one blend thing?)

It was red when I got it. And the day after I took that pic, the other leaf popped out.

The 32st? That's my favorit day of the month!

:boogie:

Sorry, could not resist.

Thanks,

Joe

Why? Did we miss your birthday?

Happy belated birthday!

EDIT: lmao. Ok my bad. I meant 31st :)

twost sounds better but secondst isn't really the other option, it'd be more like secst or something.

Back