Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new (supposedly) N. miranda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new (supposedly) N. miranda

I just got this at the nursery for 30$, a little steep but the pitcher could eat my biggest nepenthes so I don't care:

There was another one with bigger pitchers but I knew this one would barely fit so here's its biggest one:

One without flash:

One problem though, I don't have a clue where to put it. I have one of those metal racks you buy at Target for my other ones but I can't really hang it right and still get a lot of light on it. And I have two plants in there so should I repot them separately?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let them grow together - if you separate them, they'll just get bigger. You might look for a bright window to grow it in, or if you have an empty shelf on your rack, adjust it so that the plant is at a good distance and light that shelf too. If it dangles too low to rest on the rack and needs to hang, go to the hardware store and get a section of chain to hang it by. For what it's worth, if you can keep up with the humidity and watering requirements, the plant can probably deal with sub-optimal light. Neps can be grown successfully with one variable a little off (temperature, light, etc.) so long as you get all the other ones right. It will grow a little slower than it would otherwise, but Neps - particularly hybrids - are hardy if you don't disturb them too much.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats some maxima hybrid, but i dont think its miranda
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever it is, I like it. Much better than my ventricosa (so far, maybe I'll it'll be comparable when it gets bigger). I have some small lights (one of which is a quarter as bright as it should be unfortunately) that would total up at 58 watts that I could put over it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks just like my miranda..i like them cause they grow fast and get huge pitchers..my largest pitcher is over a foot long and almost 5" dia..
    rich
    Last edited by frogsintn2; 03-31-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: miss spelled stuff
    Nepenthes ALL GONE
    Sarracenia species & hybrids
    Pinguicula & hybrids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old is it and how long have you had it? Unfortunately If I hang it, it would be one of the only plants on that shelf, unless I hang it from the ceiling (not going to happen). And what do you feed a pitcher that big? Rats? I guess I could feed mine pinkies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

miranda

i bought mine just like you from home depot..it looked really bad..i got it for $10 2yrs ago..i have 4 of them..all large plants..some i split up and 1 i didn't..if you really don't have alot of room for it i'd split it up and stake it up..if you split it, it will take longer for it to stat producing big pitchers..mine catch there own gnats and flies..i have feed crickets before..just feed it (if you decide to) feed 1 cricket to each pitcher once a month..they don't need alot feeding..i haven't feed mine in over 1 yr..no reason to..heck em out here: http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...?sc=1&multi=15
    rich
    Nepenthes ALL GONE
    Sarracenia species & hybrids
    Pinguicula & hybrids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's a N. Miranda.
    I bought one in the same pot with 2 plants and about the same price.
    What I'm currently doing is growing them outside, and I've been noticing that since the heating up of the atmosphere it's been inflating some of it's pitchers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast