What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on temperature

So I moved my tank with my hamata over to the window and at night I open it and stick the tank half out. The temps get down into the 40's which is great because the humidity also goes up to about 85 with no humidifiers. When I wake up and the lights are on and the sun is out the temps get up to about 57-60 range then I close the window and the temps get up to anywhere between 77-85 range. Would it be better to keep doing this or is it ok for the temps to stay so low during the day? It's not really a cool down if they are low throughout the day right? Should I leave the window open a little bit to keep the temps about low 70's?

I grow my N. hamata in my indoor tank. It gets whatever the room throws at it. Temps are all over the map. I keep my house fairly cool in winter and rarely if ever get above 68 day or night. It can get as cool as the low 50's at night in winter.

In summer it can easily climb into the upper 90's if the house is closed up and the cooler is not on. Generally its in the upper 70-80 range daytime with a dip into the 60s at night.

The plant seems to love it there and grows for me with virtually no problems at all.

Steve

depends on how big your hamata is, otherwise, I agree with steve

People always told me that if highlanders dont get a drop in temps theyll make smaller leaves and eventually die. I grow lots of highlanders including a rajah at temps about 80 in the day and 70 at night with no problems...its actually doing better than it was when i got it. I think if the lights are really bright, and the humidity is really high, it can deal.

First everyone tells me it really needs that drop at night and now it doesn't matter? I dunno. Mine is still a very small baby. But it has grown a new leaf with the lower temps at night.

I can tell ya that Elgecko has a killer hamata and he grows his in his kitchen, right by glass windows, with relative humidity ~35 %.

Yea but Elgecko's is also way bigger and older.

Speaking on the topic of temperature, highlanders basically need a large difference between day and night temperatures. ~20F difference is the norm. Lowlands do not like that drastic of a change, they would expect something like 5F difference if anything.

That's what I was looking for. So if I leave it at a low temp all day and all night it's not good? It has to warm up and then cool down.

Speaking on the topic of temperature, highlanders basically need a large difference between day and night temperatures. ~20F difference is the norm. Lowlands do not like that drastic of a change, they would expect something like 5F difference if anything.

Thats basicly what mine get. I would say I average 15-25* difference between day and night.

Steve

It would still be fine if it was cool all day though. It might not help it, but it definitely wont hurt it

Back