What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Hamata tips plz

CP_dude

future nursury owner...i hope
i just got my N. Hamata today! It's not too big, but i wouldn't consider it to be a baby. the pitcher are about 4-5 inches with a leafspan of about 5 inches. do u think i'll have problems growing it in my terrarium. it's lid is about halfway open and in have 3-60 watt floresant bulbs about 8 inches away from the crown of my plants. any advice??????

(yea, i know i screwed up the title of the thread....)

I don't do highlanders but... wow I can't believe you bought THIS plant before you thought about what to do with it.

no, i thought about it, and i have a few other highlanders that are doing very well in this terrarium

I fixed your topic title. Basically for that small of a plant, cool temps and high humidity (greater that 70%) Do not let overheat (go above 80)

ok, thanks for the title change and the info! i'll try it and see what happens...:D

All that matters is the temp. Nothing is more critical to keeping this thing alive. Mine died this time last year. :-(

so...it should bo high temp and high humidity? since it's i highland, i'm not sure y it would need high humidity...

No, not high temps. Cool temps and high humidity. This needs high humidity when young. As it ages and grows older you can accustom it to lower humidity.

...cool temps...high humidity...ok! how do u think i can set something up that will give it those requirments?

No, not high temps. Cool temps and high humidity. This needs high humidity when young. As it ages and grows older you can accustom it to lower humidity.

I dont know how critical high humidity really is for N. hamata. Mine grows in an uncovered tank under fluorescent lights. It gets whatever the humidity is in the room. Usually in the 40-50% range. Here are pictures from when I got it and today... as you can see it was VERY young when I got it.

March 2005

ham305.JPG

April 2007 (click pic for full size view)

I guess im trying to stress that high humidity is necessary with higher temps. For example if it was 85-90F with 30% humidity I'd say it'd be looking pretty bad.

Local humidity can be very different than ambient humidity, as well, especially if the plant is growing in something like LFS, or if you mist it regularly. Also, by my understanding, humidity becomes less important as the plant becomes acclimated, but can be pretty crucial for the first few weeks. I haven't really grown one of these before, though, so I can't say for sure.
~Joe

Right now I got mine in a 5 gal tank on it's side with the pot covered in a mound of wet LFS. I have the window open at night so it's getting down into the 40's. Humidity is always no lower then 67 but getting about 95 at night. For lights I have right now a 65 watt floodlight with the power of 500 watts with something like 4,500 lumens that Seedjar told me about.

do u think that 3-60 watt floresant bulbs will b enough?

Only 4,500 lumens? A 20 watt bulb gives off 1025 lumens.

I need to get one of those, then knock down my neighbors house and all his trees and I should be fine :p .

Only 4,500 lumens? A 20 watt bulb gives off 1025 lumens.

These lights are smaller then normal 20 watt and 40 watt bulbs though. 4,500 with 2 fixtures is 7,000 in a whole lot less space then a 4 foot bulb. Plus they are very much brighter then my 40 watt bulb I had on my fish tank.

I think im about ready to take on a hamata, or perhaps even a macrophylla.

i've found that adjusting your terrarium to the conditions of your pickiest plants will give you the most success. i basically have a highland terarium, and grow MANY different types of plants in there (including a bicalcarata- lowland nep) and they do fine. they take a while to adjust and some grow a bit slow, but it all works out.

Now just to find a place to get a hamata at a reasonable price...

Back