What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new Globosa/Viking

I received this globosa a couple of days ago.
I planted it in a very fast draining mix.
My lowland mini greenhouse gets to 90F day 68F night with 60% humidity day 85% night.
I know it's not optimal but I'm hoping that the nep will adapt.
pics
globosapitcher.jpg

globosa2.jpg

globosa.jpg

View outside right now.
snow.jpg

peace,
Zero

Nice looking plant! Looks just like Western NY right now! Is this lowland or highland plant? I see perlite and LFS. What else is in there?

It's a lowlander.

Do you know what grade it is, zero? It's got quite a waist, but it's so young that that doesn't really necessarily mean anything.

jimscott, it's snowing even harder right now than when the pic was taken a few hours ago!
I LOVE New England springs, I never know what kind of weather I will wake up too.
Globosa/viking is a very lowland plant, it grows at near sea level on an island or two, as far as I know.
the substrate is lfs, pearlite, vermiculite, and orchid mix (fir bark, arcillite(some sorta puffed ceramic) , and charcoal). very fast draining mix, dries out fast too.
JLAP, I don't know what grade, but I don't think it's grade A.
even this small, it looks like it has a waist and just the wings have color.
It's a great nep either way.
Peace,
Zero

Last edited:
The mix shouldn't dry out fast, this plant likes it wet (It goes on an island...)
Its not a grade A, but unless you live in thailand grading pretty much doesnt matter anyway.
Color has nothing to do with grade.

That plant is interesting because the pitchers are smaller in relation to the leaves than i have seen in a globosa....but then again it looks like its still a seedling.

Dang, i tell everyone not to use LFS and no one listens to me :(

The mix shouldn't dry out fast, this plant likes it wet (It goes on an island...)
Its not a grade A, but unless you live in thailand grading pretty much doesnt matter anyway.
Color has nothing to do with grade.

That plant is interesting because the pitchers are smaller in relation to the leaves than i have seen in a globosa....but then again it looks like its still a seedling.

Dang, i tell everyone not to use LFS and no one listens to me :(

phissionkorps it's a basil rosette. you said it should be a fast drying mix with no LFS

but unless you live in thailand grading pretty much doesnt matter anyway.

Grading is VERY important to me. A grade A just looks better than a grade B, and a B looks better than a C.

no no, fast DRAINING

I see the point in grading in a term of differentiation, but I cannot justify spending more on a grade A vs. grade C. I like them all...but i mean, look at my growlist...I'm addicted to a genus :/

the adult my plant came from
globosaparent.jpg

looks like grade a-b to me, no waist squat pitchers.
phissionkorps, fast draining means faster drying time, for me at least.
my mix dries out in 3-4 days, so I just water before then.
my plant has very paper like leaves, is humidity very important to globosa?
peace,
Zero

I like it...it looks like a really cute plant. Grade doesn't matter much to me, I just buy what I think is attractive....and hopefully not too expensive.

Was the weather warmer a few days ago? I'm surprised that with that type of weather, the plant wasn't damaged in shipping. I ordered a couple of lowland Neps recently that are coming from up north, and they are on hold due to the weather.:cry: It's driving me crazy because my weather is in the 70s...well today we had a cold snap...it's 51 degrees. Patience is not my strong point.

That is definitely not a grade A. You can see the hump in the back of the pitchers.
By fast draining, i mean if you pour some water in, it very quickly will run out the bottom, but the medium will stay wet. Thats why I recommend a mix of peat/perlite/vermiculite/some sort of bark in about a 1:1:1:2 ratio.

I water all my plants every day or every other day, all neps come from an area where they get about 7mm of rain per day, so watering every 4 days or so is unnecessary.

The leaves should not be papery. You should probably move it to higher light if possible.
Globosa is a lowlander, and yes, humidity is very important. Pretty much everything that applies to bical applies exactly to globosa.

yeah, I don't like to use peat in my nep mixes. I have had odor probs with peat.
My mix drains fast but retains moisture. the moisture retension is due to the small amount of LFS in the mix. otherwise, it would be like a orchid mix.
I don't mind that my plant is a grade b-c, it's still nice.
peace,
Zero

Hi Zero:

I was wondering since you live in a very cold environment for a considerable part of the year, would you be willing to grow an ultrahighlander instead of a lowlander?
Although, vikings are very resilient to winter they are not almighty. I am very much aware of your set up, so the plant should be fine nevertheless. I am also wondering about your electricity bills?

Gus

Back