What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's my raff look?

DSCF0255.jpg

How does this plant look? I know the large pitcher is on it's way out, but how about that new one that's inflating? It really hasn't done anything in about a month, do they grow slow or did I lose that one to climatization? There is a bud of a pitcher that looks just like the inflating one, I have a feeling that I lost it too. There is a new pitcher bud that just came out that is nice and white like the live part of the big pitcher. I'm hoping that it is hardened off the the windowsill and will be fine. :)

Most importantly, do I have to be worried about the red spots? I read somewhere that Neps get a red fungus, does mine look like that?

Thanks all!

The red spots are probably a fungus. My raff had what looks exactly like that only a thousand times worse before I actually got around to treating it. A lot of people will suggest Cleary's something or other, but I couldn't find that. I read that rust fungus is not fatal, just unsightly. I Mine certainly was unsightly. I would isolate it so it doesn't spread to other plants (other neps) and get some fungucide and start treating it every seven to ten days. I ended up treating and then clipping the leaves that had it just so it wouldn't spread. Unfortunately my raff was so bad that I would've had to clip the entire plant, but didn't want to get rid of all the leaves so it could still photosynthesize. It doesn't look too bad on yours, but make sure to wipe down the undersides of the leaves with the fugacide, since it is usually worse there than on the tops. Good luck.

Oh, and the plant will be fine. Just let it settle some more and then you will be rewarded with some great looking pitchers.

xvart.

i have a raff, and i can say that it is one tough plant.

I think leaves are fine. i find that if temps are to cold, it will make strange pitchers

and some leaf discoloration.

mine is about 1 1/2 foot leafspan with last pitcher measuring 3 inches

yeah they are some pretty tough plants!!!
Mine has been through a number of transitions of temps, amounts of humidity and, light, yet it still continues to produce amazingly large (for it's size) pitchers.
the leaf span is about 7 inches and it's producing 3 inch pitchers.

How long have you had it in the current conditions? I'd say since you have new leaves growing out of it it will adjust and be fine. I've found that neps take longer to adjust outside of a grow tank then they would inside one. A couple months back when I got my black dragon I did not lose one pitcher since it went in right away but the predator is just now starting to put out pitchers and I got that almost a year ago.

I'd say too cool and not enough light. Also I wouldn't have it sittin in a tray of water that big. I have mine in a small tray so it doesn't get too much water and that trays in a larger tray to catch any water that overflows...
Raff's do quite well in Terrariums... until they totally outgrow them.

Your soil mix could be a problem in the long run. In my experience peat base mixes dont work great for rafflesiana. They do alot better in more of a airy mix such as L.F.S

Back