What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep cuttings, slice bottom of stem?

over at pitcher plants nep forum it's recomended to put 4 slices on the bottom of a new cutting to improve root growth.
have any pf you tried this?
I need to chop my ventrata soon and want to try to grow my fist cuttings.
peace,
Zero

Evereyone I know recommends doing that. Some even say to strip the outter layer completely from the bottom 1" or so from the stem. A good rooting hormone is also recommended.

Tony Paroubek has a good pictoral overview of making Nep cuttings on his page here: http://www.exoticplantsplus.com/framepageculturetips.htm

Good luck,
Steve

I like to put a cut in the bottom of cuttings, but I also take a shallow, angled cut into the stem on either side to shave off some of the outer layer like Steve mentioned. The idea is to expose a greater surface of the inner tissues that will later grow roots.
~Joe

I believe the process of slitting the stem is called 'notching'.... and what Joe said about greater surface area. Some people place the cutting in the media and one grower (indymental / Sheila) placed the cuttings in vases, like a rose stem and changes the water every so often.

Back