Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make Nepenthes flower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Some things have never flowered in cultivation. Also, not only does a certain age have ot be met, but perfect conditions also have to exist. You could have a 90 year old truncata thats never flowered if you keep it in bad conditions
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say you have to have 'perfect' conditions. They just have to be good growing conditions.

There's really nothing to do to make an immature plant flower, but if you have one that is in the vining stage, sometimes drastically increasing the amount of light will trigger it to flower. At least, that's happened with mine before.
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do not always have to be perfect conditions. Sometimes (according to some reports) a flower will occur when a plant is stressed. Maybe it thinks,"I am in touble! Better make some seed! The speices will survive!"
    Some people have reported cuttings they are trying to root. Whether that was going to happen or not, I do not know. Others in plants freshly repotted.
    Now, supposedly blue spectrum(ie metal halide) will promote plant growth and red/orange spectrum(high pressure sodium) will promote blooming. I know one grower who swears by it(especially with Drosera petiolaris complex).
    Has anyone experimented with both types of lighting?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both spectra lights in my chamber, but most of my plants are too young. I had a plant flower once right after being cut
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeppers Joe. For me, MH gives me lots of growth and average flowers production for plants like Drosera, while HPS gave me etoliated, sickly growth with an overabundance of flowers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does pot size play a role in getting your Nepenthes to flower?

The reason I ask is I posted in another forum asking how big my N. x ventrata would have to be to flower and they said that it was most likely more than large enough. I know its enjoying the conditions I provide because it grows like a weed, however I have had it in the same 5 inch pot ever since I got it, only replaced the media once and put it back in the same pot.

Heres a pic:

If you guys don't think the pot is the issue then I really don't want to repot it. It'll be pretty tricky since the plant has already grabbed on tight to the chicken wire.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm I don't know. I've had small nepenthes with relatively huge root systems, and I've had gigantic nepenthes with virtually no root system at all.

I tend to pot plants in pots that are proportional to the size, regardless to the size of their roots. Overpotted in other words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 inch pot? I own those, they are quite small for a 3 foot large plant. I think the pot is way too small, but probably not the reason for the flowering.
    - NeciFiX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12