What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shredded Pine

I am in the process of taking down 2 pine trees in my front yard. We already have one of them down, and used a stump grinder to get rid of the stump. Well I now have a mountain of perfectly ground up pine mulch in my front yard...and that's only from one stump!! :0o: The thrifty side of me sees a mountain of possible planting mediums. :D Can this be used in soil mixes for Neps? I'm a little concerned about using it because Pine trees are known for their nasty sticky sap, which I'm worried might hurt my plants. Also, Pine may break down too fast, because it isn't hard wood.

I guess if all else fails, I can always put it in my mulch pile or my garden.

Thanks!

ive used cypress mulch before but never pine for neps. one note if using it outdoors in gardens.......you might not want to use it close to the house cause it might attract termites. IIRC most mulches have something sprayed on them to discourage termites

I've used pine bark many times in the past. It didn't do any harm to my Neps. In fact, I have a coccinea and alata x maxima growing in nothing but pine bark and they are doing fine. You could mix it with sphagnum and some other stuff.

I would let it age and then soak it in water overnight for a couple days and change the water at least 1 time.

I have use pine needles for Neps, as per a forum member's recommendation. I think you have a good CP medium! I also think that the above advice is quite sound!

I'm glad it will work. Since we were grinding a stump down, it's not just pine bark, it's all the wood...will that make a difference?

Nepenthes gracilis - How long do you think I should let it age?

Thanks for the advice!!

I would let it age and then soak it in water overnight for a couple days and change the water at least 1 time.

I know an Aussie who uses Urea to age pine bark more quickly. Sprinkles some on a pile, sprays with water, repeats every so often.
I "think" Pyro uses pine mulch-which I assume would be the whole tree minus the needles.
But yes, rattler and nep g (sound like rapper names) are correct. You shoud soak whatever bark you are using(I would say change two or trhee times) to get any salts, impurites, ect.

Cheers,

Joe

Doesn't Urea break down into ammonia? How does he get it out?

Back