What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about light and my ramispina

I have this small N. ramispina
ramside.jpg

ram1.jpg

Since I got it the leaves have turned a purple color and the latest pitcher aborted and dried up.
I am wondering if this nep doesn't like a lot of light.
It's about 5 in. under two 40 watt cool floro lights, and gets direct sunlight morning to mid afternoon.
should I reduce the amount of light?
my other neps seem to like the lighting situation.
peace,
Zero

AFAIK N. ramispina is one of those neps that get AMAZING coloring in the leaves. if its growing and pitchering. its fine.
Alex

It is nothing to be worried about. Some nep leaves just get more reds/purples in their leaves.

xvart.

Don't discount the fact that it could be a fungus

Indeed. But saying 'too much light' is a factor is probably silly. As sunlight is multitudes of times brighter, and they grow in it in the wild! Even if only filtered sunlight.

Yes Neci, Really filtered :p. Only 2% of the sunlight hits the ground in the rainforest.
I dont think thats fungus. They are so evenly colored and fungus usually wont color it that evenly. Nice plant BTW:p

I grow a N. ramispina under alot of light, and it looks similar to your plant. If you give it less light, the leaves should grown green again if that is what you prefer.

Thanks for the input. now I know I'm not frying my little ramispina:)
It's not fungus, the leaves colored up very quickly after I recieved the plant.
The plant does get DIRECT sunlight in addition to the 80 watts of floro light that is on 4-10pm.
I just thought it was too much because the newest pitchure dried up and died.
peace,
Zero

That is a nice healthy plant. Some plants turn red, some bronze, some stay green with a blood red midrib.

The media looks like an excess of minerals are present.

That is a nice healthy plant. Some plants turn red, some bronze, some stay green with a blood red midrib.

The media looks like an excess of minerals are present.

Why does the media look like it has minerals?
Is it because of the algea?

the media is lfs, orchid mix, vermiculite, pearlite.

peace,
Zero

Yeah because of the algae lol. I mean if it's working it's fine, just old decaying media is nasty.

My ramispina...

ramispina3RS.sized.jpg

A pitcher from a few months ago.

ramispinaB4_24_07RS.sized.jpg

Recent pitcher. My plant had lower leaves that turned very red but the upper leaves are this color.

Bet y'all thought I didn't have any neps. lol

lol Well probably nobody. I just don't post here that often so some people might think I don't grow any.

I've become quite fond of my ramispina.

Back