What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few photos for May

Hey All,

Posted a few new photos of some plants for May. I can't say enough so far about the improvement using a seaweed based fertilizer at about 1/2 to 1/3 strength. Lots of growth and new pitchers for my abused Neps outdoors. That stuff is working wonders. Even the weeds love it!! Here's the usual URL http://www.nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Enjoy,

Joel

Very nice pics! I always enjoy going to your site to check out the pics, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Victoria. I think I'll have much better stuff in a month or so. As long as the weather stays pretty predictable, the plants should be alright.

J

Great pix and really interesting site. I was wondering what part of the country you lived in though. I'm within view of the ocean (and the bay, for that matter) in SF and it looks like I should be able to grow some of the hardier nepenthes outside. Not sure though. Wondering if your climate is at all comparable.

Says he lives in southern cali.
Capslock has an open-air growrack in SF. You should talk to him. He's got GREAT plants.

Thanks for the info JLAP! I grow virtually everything outdoors and have had fairly good luck so far, but have never tried Nepenthes outside. I just bought a good sized N. sanguinea (sp?) and a small N. maxima that seem to be doing great indoors. If I can get them (or some other Nepethes) outside though, they'd get a lot more light. I might just have to experiment. :)

San Francisco area should be fine most of the year except for winter times. It may get a little colder there than in Southern California. But you are near the coast so that may help a bit. I would imagine that the plants I'm having success with you should as well. Typical highland temperatures will work for a lot of plants. Try a few tough hybrids or species and see what happens.

J

NATH: Thanks for the info. I'll post here and let people know how the experiment goes.

I lived if Frisco for abit, plants I grew there were really happy too! The cool growing plants everyone drools over grow like gangbusters there.
Just finding the right area with the optimum lighting will probly be the only issue to deal with, the rest should come naturally..

Back