Likes Likes:  0

Thread: N. ventricosa lids wont open

The ignorance of man stains the land! Victoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. ventricosa lids wont open

I have had this Nep for about 4 months and it is producing pitchers like crazy but none of the pitchers lids will open. Any tips on what I am doing wrong? I have it under excellent lights, water with RO water and mist all my CPs about 3-6 times a day depending on how much time I have. Let me know if there is any other info that would be helpful, I can supply a pic if needed.

Also, what is the survivability of Nep cuttings? I received many Nep cuttings that were fresh cut and so far I have lost 1 and another is on its way out, but all others look great and a few have started to root. I keep them moist at all times so maybe I am keeping them to wet??

Thanks!
    Victoria
    They are slowly and painfully killing you.....did you know that?

How brainwashed are you?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the lid partially open but stuck in the front? You might need to increase the humidity. I had some trouble with ventricosa lids a while back where they would start to open around the sides but it would stay down in the front. I thought it was because the nectar around the peristome was sticking the lid, but I think it might be the humidity. I ended up just gently pealing the lid from the front and once it was unstuck it raised the rest of the way on it's own. Some nep lids will close a little bit if the humidity drops in order to keep the juices from evaporating, or so I've heard.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like cephs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem, so I just bent one up and it stayed like that, another I just ripped the lid off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    picture maby?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

The ignorance of man stains the land! Victoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice xvart! Some of the lids open around the sides but not in front other open a little all over but dont fully open. I will put it in my terrerium and see how it does, it is quite a bit more humid in their. I pried one open but it just went right back to its original position 2 seconds after I let go.... I will try to snap some pics later, in a hurry now so gotta run.

Victoria
    They are slowly and painfully killing you.....did you know that?

How brainwashed are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how long have you had it? Personally I've never experienced this, but i sincerely doubt its the humidity. I have plants that pitcher constantly in 15%.

On the topic of cuttings, I've never lost one, so I don't know exactly how to pinpoint your problem. It depends on the species or hybrid you are trying to root though, and the method. I have a crazy way of preparing the cutting (which I am way too lazy to type), but in terms of caring for it, you need to keep it humid (absolutely no less than 80%), in the brigthest light possible, and keep it pretty wet. I keep my cuttings a little drier than my swampy lowlanders. Like I said....never lost a cutting
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid