What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got a nepenthes at Home Depot

I assume from my reading here that it is mislabeled and that it is actually a nepenthes ventrata. It looks ok some pitchers are a little brown on top. My question is should i put it outside or not? I live in Maryland and its in the 70's in the day and high 40's to 50's at night. I could also keep it in my fish room which has plenty of humidity and is pretty warm but not much sun gets in that window.

lol so lucky, i can never find a nep at home depot. I would keep it in the fish room window if you have one.

It will do fine by a window (on the inside).

xvart.

Last edited:
Is there a point where i could move it outside or should i plan to keep it indoors from now on. If it must remain inside could i move it into another part of the house where it may get more sun but less humidity

Well I would be concerned with the temps in the 40s at night. Otherwise the temps sound fine. You might want to avoid full sun. Since I assume it's still small since you just got it I would let it adjust to a window for a while, and then as summer approaches and the low temp increases you could then consider moving outside. You definately don't want to keep moving it around since it needs a little time to adjust to new surroundings.

It is a N. x ventrata, so it will be a vigorous grower most anywhere. Just watch out for those low temps!

xvart.

When I was living in PA I took my Neps outside for the summer, under the porch. I was attempting to acclimate them to the outside and in more direct sun by moving them 2' closer and that was too much for them to handle. Every plant reacted and a couple of the died. I moved them to the shade of trees and it took several weeks for the remainder to recover. Other than that, they do fine at window sill. You'll have to supplement with artificial lighting for the late fall and winter to keep them pitchering.

I have a small N. ventricosa and "Judith Finn' right now. The old leaves turned black and crispy, the newest leaf on each plant looks good, thick, and red.

I just moved my 2 neps outside under my back patio roof. I think IF we get another frost they'll be ok I believe. Right now is about the last frost date for my area. I'm in zone 6. Neps LOVE it outside!

Tom

They're selling neps already??!? I guess I'll have to look :)

Back