What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my Judith Finn dying?

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
Okay.

What’s going on with my Judith Finn???

sickNepJudithFinn.jpg

Besides the fact that it was a Lowe’s death-box rescue from a month ago…

see: my Nep identification

I kept it in its clear plastic box but finally repotted it two days ago.

It is now in a 5” terra-cotta pot with a media of LFS, perlite, lava rock and orchid bark.

Watered from the top. Good drainage. Receives the same amount of light as before. I even spray it 4-5 times a day.

It’s wilting and turning yellow!!!

When I repotted it, I noticed that it had virtually no root system. (and this was the first time I ever repotted a Nep, so what did I know?)

Anyway, could THAT be it? An under-developed root system due to being encased in a shallow plastic box for who-knows-how-long?

And now it’s stressed from repotting and from being in a new home? Will she recover or is she doomed??

The new growth looks fine. It's wilted because of humidity changes.

Some nepenthes can be large yet have very small root systems. A mix that is allowed to dry out a little bit on the top will encourage root growth. A plant in constantly wet media doesn't really need to grow a robust root system... until you repot it from pure LFS or whatever was in the cube into a "dry" and loose mix like yours.

It will recover. Water it with some superthrive-water if you have any.

Yeah JLAP's right. The new growth looks fine. So urs will survive eh? Just add water ;)

i had to cut mine up. it was starting to get root rot :( the cutting looks good so far though.
Alex

Okay........but I don't think she likes me any more........ :(

I'll give her more time to grow & heal then.

Will the yellow leaves recover or will they need to be snipped off eventually to make room for new growth?

Superthrive:

That's another area I was gonna inquire about; If plant fertilizers should be used...

???

Thanks for the advice and reassurance all! You've been a great help. :)

No, they won't turn green again. Every leaf will eventually turn yellow and die as new ones are made. Superthrive isn't a fertilizer, and yes you can use fertilizers one day but I don't suggest it for now.

Okay.

Here's a photo update on 'ol Sickie........

ol_floppy.jpg

There IS some new growth just like JLAP said. But the old leaves are browning and lookin' kinda nasty. :(

I think that she'll be alright. I guess I'm just getting impatient. Oh well........

Well...the new leaf doesn't look that bad.

looks fine. the reddish hue on the leaf means your giving it great lighting. Good Job! :)

I would cut off those nasty dead leaves (only the ones that are mostly dead). That will definitely improve the look of your plant.

xvart.

Yeah, just for good measure, I'll say it's lookin alright too- I've managed to bring worse looking ones around so really she should be okay (wel, likely "He"?? Is "Judith Finn" a male clone?? Never thought to wonder about that)

Well, I call it "she", 'cause ya know... JUDITH FINN. ;)

So, a reddish leaf confers good lighting? Good. I'm finally doing something right. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'll hack those dead leaves off soon. She'd look naked with no leaves on. hehe...

Say, how can you tell if those little brown "hooks" on the end of the leaves are actually gonna transform into a pitcher? And does every leaf pitcher? Or is it a hit-and-miss kind of thing? I suppose it's up to the variety of Nep 'huh?

Usually, after a new Nepenthes is purchased, any old leaves, except for maybe the newest of the old leaves, won't make a pitcher. Yes, all leaves can make a pitcher, if conditions are favorable. Personally, I'd leave it alone, and not cut the leaves off, or at least just cut the brown parts off. I wouldn't cut any green off so as to let the plant photosynthesize as much as it can.

-Ben

Fryster, yours is doing the exact same thing mine did when I purchased it from lowes. But yours looks likes it going to bounce back and be just fine.

Here is few before and after.

The day after removing from cube of death. I really was thinking this was history.

DSCF0584.jpg

What it looks like tonight and also it looks like I might have two plants in the pot.

DSCF0778.jpg

And look a here I'm getting my first pitcher

DSCF0781.jpg

Say, how can you tell if those little brown "hooks" on the end of the leaves are actually gonna transform into a pitcher?

They will start turning green and swell up.

Chris,

Looks you and I are in the same boat with our sickly Finns. ;)

Yeah, I'll leave as much green on her as I can, to do the 'photosynthesize thing'.

It's sad to see her ill but kinda fun to watch her rebound and grow again.

I guess that's why we all like plants 'eh? :)

UPDATE:

My Lowe's Judith Finn is making a recovery.

Slow. But a recovery none-the-less. :)

Two nice new strong leaves showing.

sicklyJudithFinn.jpg

looks good:)

Judith Finn is a very slow grower. From my own experience. She looks fine. Keep doing what you're doin.

IT IS?!?!

I thought the Judith Finn was supposed to be the durable fast grower of the Neps?

The "typical VFT" of the Nep world... NO?

Oh well, it is fun to watch her recover and grow larger, stronger leaves. :)

I see 'lil pitchers a-comin' too!! Can't wait! :banana2:

On the bad side (VERY bad side) my tiny N. Sanguinea is dying. She's a lost cause I'm afraid... :(

neardeadN_Sang.jpg

Back