User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who else grows the real clipeata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the picture of lcone 1 posted by "neps" does indeed look like the real thing, but every other photo I've ever seen of clone 1 does not. If you read the link Donn posted, on the 3rd page, it is pretty much demonstrated that clone 1 is indeed a hybrid.

Besides the photo posted by neps, if you look at photos of clone 1, it clearly does not match with a true species.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I don't disagree that the pics Sunbelle posted are of hybrids, that it is quite obvious. What I'm trying to understand is where it says that this clip-1 by JDK, is the same as Wistubas clone 1. I did read that Wistuba had lost (discontinued?) a clone 6 which is clearly a hybrid, but that is all. On the other hand I realize that Wistuba did remove his clone 1 as well. For what reason i don't know, since "neps" plant looks correctly identified. Here's some old pics of my clone 1 or 3. I feel everything fits the true species with leaf and basic pitcher shape considered, but the shape of the lid doesn't look alright. Although the lid looks okay on two of the pics it has a tendency to be flatter like the first (and oldest) photo shows. The angle between the lid and "mouth" is bigger, making it more open.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple shots of one of mine. I believe that this is Wistuba's clone 2.
    I posted these elsewhere a while ago, but given this thread, decided to add them
    here. I grow this as a highland species, and it seem to exhibit better coloration
    under highland conditions than under a lowland regime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    christerb,

The pitcher(s) you have shot photos of do not seem to be bulbous enough at the bottom, and the upper half of the pitcher does not seem "funnel" shaped enough. Also, as you have stated, the lid seems to be at too great an angle to the mouth in comparison to the true species. One of the defining characteristics is that the lid is held very tightly to the mouth, as the species experiences extreme wind in the wild. The lid also seems in the first two pictures to not be "flat" enough. If the clone you are posting pics of is clone 1, this is expected, as all of these are not clip characteristics, but if it is clone 3, there is something ot be explained.

The pictures neps has posted are of clone 2, which not surprizingly, fit the textbook "type" of the true clipeata.

From what I understand (though I could of course be wrong), is that the JDK clone is the same as Wistuba's clone 1. If this is the case, they are both clearly hybrids. I had always heard of "clone 1" and "JDK clone" being used synonymously. The "clipeata" being circulated as the "JDK clone" is certianly a hybrid, as is "clip clone 1" sold by Wistuba. It is my understanding that they are one and the same.
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Very nice pitcher you have got there, neps. Since this is the same clone (pitcher) as in link, it seems that it wasn't clone 1 after all, thanks for letting me know.

Anyway, if my plant is Wistubas clone 1 then I am absolutely sure JDK and Wistubas clone 1 are not the same. The pitchers are not even close looking.

I stand by that the basic shape is not atypical of clipeata, just the lid's shape and angle. If the pitcher in the second photo is not funnelled enough then I dont know what is.

I'll try to contact AW to get his opinion.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again,

Somehow my first e-mail to Andreas Wistuba got lost in cyberspace, but I got a quick reply when I tried his other address yesterday.

According to Andreas his clone 1 is a true clipeata, and the reason that it is not sold anymore is because it was lost from his invitro culture. He still has one plant left growing of this clone. He also confirmed my thought that his clone 1 has nothing to do with the other clone 1 (hybrid) circulating in the hobby. Also, after seeing pics of my plant (whatever clone it is) he stated that in his eyes it is a true clipeata.

Regards,

Christer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So there are two different plants being called "clone 1"?
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen both the name "clone 1" and "clip-1" for the John DeKanel plant which is thought to be a clipeata x (clipeata x eymae). That is the only other clone 1 I have heard of.

Regards,

Christer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123