Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choices - Outside or Inside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew my ventricosa and sanguinea inside all last year. I have since moved and don't ahve the windowspace I used to. As such I dropped mine outside as soon as the nightime temps got above 50 or so. Since then I haven't seen them complaining. They have been putting out new pitchers and catching new and exciting insects (for them anyway). As for sunlight, I have them hanging under an overhang off my front porch which is east facing and also more or less under a tree. I just don't have a window that is suitable anymore. They get kind of large as you mentioned.
    Updated Growlist!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When adapting Neps to outdoor conditions it is very common to get some leaf bleaching in direct sunlight. In this quote:

Last year I had two of them outside and occasionally they seemed to just get burnt or get little red spots on the leaves (the sanguinea got the spots, not the ventricosa).

It is also common for Neps to get red spots due to increased light levels. I enjoy growing outside because I can. I live in an area where most of the year is good for highlanders. In winter it does get colder, upper 30's at times to low 40's for a while, that stresses out the plants but they bounce back. I think the plants look great and enjoy the fresh air and light. But there are risks. Plants need time to adjust to outdoor conditions. Filtered light is best at first until your plants adjust. Greenhouse plants look great but not all of us have the space and money to set up that system. Read a little, get some opinions, and then experiment with some hybrids or species that are inexpensive and vigorous for your growing conditions.

Good luck,
    Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I just put the predator outside a week ago and it got burned but I moved into direct sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gasp! Is it okay?

So you think a....West/Northwest facing porch would be okay? After like.. 2 PM or so it should get filtered light from the two trees there. It would be in mostly shade for the most part of the day. I'm worried about putting plants there since they're.. out in the open anyone could just walk up and yoink one!
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should put them outside whenever you can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure it will be fine. I know it scares me to put out such a rare plant but I will back down to terrorists. Can you put yours in the back or something? That's what I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's where the rest of mine are, but if I put them there then they have no shade.. the only trees that are close to the house are in the front.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my plants get moved from the GH to ourside during the summer months here in GA. The fresh air and natural wind movement does great for everything I have. There is more light outside the GH during the summer and they get fresh rain when that happens too. Other than that I have to water everyday as well. I have themunder a bench made with lattice to block some sun. They are not in sull sun but do get alot more light than they did during winter in the GH. I leave my seedlings and less light loveing plants in the GH. I believe outdoor growing is better than inside growing for the most part. Some plants do grow better indoors.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast