What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Choices - Outside or Inside

For the next few days it's going to be cooler so I'm going to try moving them outside and hoping they automatically acclimate to it and don't react badly. The first day that it gets back up to 80, I may change something about their environment. Since it's going to be cool and since they could be acclimated by this, I will put them where the rest of my CPs are, where they get full sun until about 2 PM (it faces east).

I'm hoping I get good luck with this, my neps have been acting weird lately. They change behavior a lot.

I know it's funny but yea the most sun is behind the house which is north. Maybe you should try to find the spot and keep it there instead of moving it all around.

It hit 75 today.. and my neps aren't liking it.

N. ventricosa 'red'
ventricosaburn.jpg

N. alata
alataburn.jpg

Do you think they'll recover from the burnt leaves and harden up to it? Or should I moved them to the shade immediately.. I was hoping this wouldn't happen since it got warm over the course of a few days and not just all of a sudden it got hot.

Oddly enough, my N. sanguinea...
sanguineaunscathed.jpg

...is somewhat unscathed.

your sanguinea isnt growing very fast :) itll kick it into high gear soon though.
Alex

Shade cloth, perhaps?
~Joe

What would be suitable to use as a shade cloth?

I take it that they won't just "get used to it" then... that sucks.

My sanguinea sometimes grows really fast and then it's just really slow.. it just changes its mind a lot.

I think they will get used to the sun.
there are growers who have MANY plants in full sun.
they will also like the humid summer we get here on the east coast.

You can get shade cloth at a hardware/greenhouse supply type store. Alternately, you could use something like cheesecloth, I suppose, or translucent plastic film.
~Joe

Alrighty.. the garden center at my work might have something like that. I'm sure they could get used to 75 degree weather but once it hits 85 again.. I don't think they're gonna like that at all.

I put out small ventricosa and 'Judith Finn' and they did that, then they turned black and crispy on parts, and now they are a nice red color and starting to make their newest leaves.

So they burn then rise from the ashes? Neat-o.

If you have a tree that you can hang the pot under the gets early morning sun and can shade it from midday on put it there. I'm currently growing mine under a large tree that gets some of the the morning sun but is shaded midday on. It's growing fine in that spot and catching food like crazy.

The only good tree I have would probably never allow it to get any full sunlight since it's very close to the house, maybe late in the evening it could get some, but that's it.

Back