Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choices - Outside or Inside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you on the fact that most plants do grow better outside. I just sometimes prefer keeping them inside because it's a more controlled environment. I mostly only keep my temperates outside otherwise. (Except for my neps, I want them outside so they can soak up the humidity and eat.)
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't grow on the north side. That gets the least amount of light. East will get morning light, south will get the noon light and west will get the afternoon light. I grow my smaller plants on plastic tables under shadecloth until they get bigger and then go full sun. That's me though in my environment.

Also, I've had neps get really burned and still come back to life. Usually this happens because I'm lazy and just put them outside without acclimating them slowly. The plants almost always come back but it does take several months to pitcher. The plants can take a lot more sunlight as long as the humidity is high. With lower humidity, around 50% or so, more direct sun can result in more bleaching. Most neps can easily take several hours of direct light without burning. Find your spot and adjust for the light with shadecloth, shadowing from trees or roofs or whatever, or an area where it gets morning light and afternoon shade or vice versa. And don't sweat it if your plant drops pitchers at first. That can happen as your plant is adapting.

Joel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that the north side of the house gets the most sun. I'm putting everything that goes outside there. Plus it's in the back yard so that's safer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, since the sun rises in the east and sets in the west with the south receiving the most sun, I find it unusual that the north side of your house receives the most light. But if that's the brightest spot, then so be it.

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the next few days it's going to be cooler so I'm going to try moving them outside and hoping they automatically acclimate to it and don't react badly. The first day that it gets back up to 80, I may change something about their environment. Since it's going to be cool and since they could be acclimated by this, I will put them where the rest of my CPs are, where they get full sun until about 2 PM (it faces east).

I'm hoping I get good luck with this, my neps have been acting weird lately. They change behavior a lot.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it's funny but yea the most sun is behind the house which is north. Maybe you should try to find the spot and keep it there instead of moving it all around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It hit 75 today.. and my neps aren't liking it.

N. ventricosa 'red'

N. alata

Do you think they'll recover from the burnt leaves and harden up to it? Or should I moved them to the shade immediately.. I was hoping this wouldn't happen since it got warm over the course of a few days and not just all of a sudden it got hot.

Oddly enough, my N. sanguinea...

...is somewhat unscathed.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your sanguinea isnt growing very fast itll kick it into high gear soon though.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast