Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choices - Outside or Inside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choices - Outside or Inside

I've got 3 neps... N. ventricosa 'red, N. alata, and N. sanguinea.. It's almost the summer and I have a choice to make. Now.. I have all three of them on my plant shelf where they seem to grow pretty well, but now that it's warm I wanted to move them outside since I'm sure they'd enjoy the extra humidity and sunlight.

Last year I had two of them outside and occasionally they seemed to just get burnt or get little red spots on the leaves (the sanguinea got the spots, not the ventricosa). So I was wondering if I should just keep them inside this year. Judging from the amount of pitchers my ventricosa is trying to open right now.. I'd say it's pretty happy.. but if there's any chance that they could be happier outside I'd like to take it. So I wanted to get some opinions on the subject.

It usually doesn't get any hotter than 85 degrees outside and where I'd have them, it'd only get direct sunlight from sunrise to about noon/1PM. I really want to see some bigger pitchers opening this year and I also need the extra space on my shelf.. so I'd much rather have them outside but really I didn't want to make a decision without some opinions on it.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Neps do just fine inside, right at a window sill, with supplemental lighting in the fall and winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had a N. ventrata that i put outside last year. i live in Zone 6(Kentucky) like you and my plant loved it! it was in a hanging basket under a tree. it got morning sun then dappled light for the rest of the day. my sanguinea "orange" might go out later on depending on how bad our summer is. last year we had a pretty mild summer. this year it is MUCH hotter than it was last year.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. tree is no good for me.. I have like 4 trees in my yard and all of them are too far away from my house for me to safely put them outside. I'll have to find some other way to do it... hmmmmm...
    Growlist
    I'm back?

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first nep I had I grew outside during the summer. Then I brought it inside during the winter. It grew so well it never made it back outside.
    All my neps are now grown year round inside by the window.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, maybe I just will keep it inside. The problem is that they keep getting bigger.. and bigger.. and bigger..
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elgecko View Post
    My first nep I had I grew outside during the summer. Then I brought it inside during the winter. It grew so well it never made it back outside.
    All my neps are now grown year round inside by the window.
    And I can persoanlly attest to his Neps in the kitchen, in hanging baskets, 35% humidity, and looking mahvelous, simply mahvelous. The fun part was watching him water them and trying to catch the water as it drained through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

That's awesome that neps (even hamata) can grow in conditions like that because humidity is the one thing I cannot control with my current setup.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast