User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help! Jumping into Montane plants!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not grow the lowlanders outside? They'd probably grow well in your new conditions too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talangensis

I was looking at Talangensis earlier today...

your cephs and helis will love the move

av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing a couple weeks ago and since the move my hamata is starting to grow a pitcher. I did it for all the same reasons, high humidity, lower temps down into the 40's in the winter. I do however have a n. albo and truncata in there and I was told they are lowlanders but they both are still growing pitchers and look just as good. I'm moving my ceph and h. minor when I get it down there along with all my tropical dews. For this reason I'm thinking of getting rid of some neps like the miki and sanguinea. I know I'm happy with the move because I got some of the ultra highlanders growing pitchers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Clint,

Your basement sounds a lot like my crawlspace so you should do well with your highlanders there.

If you can afford it, set up a seperate tank for your highlanders (sometimes aquariums can be had for a dime at pet stores that have a cracked one and you can fix it up with a little silicon caulk.) A 400W HID should have a footprint of 2m x 2m which should be more than large enough for a pair of 55G thanks (and then some). Set up your lowlander with a pair of fully subersible water heaters, one hooked to the same timer that regulates the light and the other set to go off if the mimimum temp hits 15C (~60F).

Your highlander tank should not need much, set it up just like you have you lowlander now except with no heater. Instead use a bubble wand and an aquarium air pump to raise the humidity. Should be all you need.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gasp... no heater? Are you suuure? Wow this is new to me lol. My MH is only 250 watts. We will be rewiring the basement to make places to set it up, and then I'll take the temperatures over the coarse of a week. The 250 watt is only enough for the just 75 gallon and my rent's think my hobby is dumb enough as it is lol. I'm lucky they put up with me this much!

Lol, I've still got that veitchii if you want it lmao. I'll miss my lowlanders. I need to find a N. hamata!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless it is dropping to freezing then you won't need a heater. Highlanders really do not mind temps dropping to 8-10C. If you want to put a heater in to pull day temps up you can do that but I would not let it get over 25C. But like I said, it sounds like my crawlspace and I don't use any heater (though I do have a 400W system in there but before I was just using 2 shoplights so...)

And as was mentioned, you could grow your lowlanders outside for the time being. At least until Sept, maybe longer (need to bring them in when nights start hitting 10C). THat should give you time to work your parents over for more light/room/plants

But if you really do need to get rid of your lowlanders I can take some. Not too keen on the hybrid but the other 3 would be of interest. I don't have hamata but I think I have a spare spec. nova Sumatra 2A and I know I have a few rajah...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastical. I'll wait a week, see what the temps are and then PM ya. I'm so nervous because highlanders were always the "holy grail" super hard advanced plants.

I might trade the viking for my first REAL highlander, a talangensis! Whoo this is scary lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say set up a Lowlander area too, could make a grow chamber or sumethin with the Halide and lay 3, 2-bulb T8's across the top of the 75.
    Or 2 T8's across a 55 gal. Find 55's in the paper sometimes for cheap.
    Or use a couple 10 gal tanks with a couple T8's would be cheap.
    In all I'd say keep the Lowlanders too instead of going all HL.
    Could probly grow them all together for alittle while until you can make the new set-up.
    If you really do want to get rid of yer LLer's I'd be really interested in the Hybrid, Camp x Bical's a nice one!
    Hamata's can be found, but not for cheap.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast