User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Jumping into Montane plants!

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! Jumping into Montane plants!

Hey guys. I'm moving the terrarium in the basement so I can grow cephalotus and maybe Heliamphora a little better. I'm going to use a MH light, but it's a huge basement so maybe heat won't be a problem. We might set it up tomorrow. Right now, a hygrometer says humidity is 71% and the temperature is 69.9. This is the temp of the actual air, not the air in a terrarium. The terrarium is still filled with lowlanders in my room.I guess maybe the temp will go to maybe 60 degrees at night? It stays cool year round, and it gets REALLY cold in the winter so I'll use 2 fish tank heaters to keep it a minimum of 60. Does this sound OK? Or should I lower the minimum to like.. 55 or 50 so it'll get cool in the winter?

Alright, now, what do I do with my lowlanders? I've got a bical x campanulata, lowland veitchii, Clipeata clone 1 and N. viking that are my 4 favorite plants so if I have to get rid of 'em i'll be sad lol. I might have to trade them away. I'll get back to you guys and tell the minimum/ maximum temperatures in the terrarium when it's set up. And pics! If you won't make fun of the junk (hey, it IS a basement lol)

SO, how is all of this looking? To be honest, I don't know anything about highlanders (is this considered highland?) so ... yeah what am I supposed to grow besides like... N. ventricosa and "boring" plants like that? Would N. hamata grow well? Or like... what do I do? Lol. I'm such a newb at highlanders (Is that what my tank will be?)?

AHHH SCARY! If anyone wants to trade lowlanders for... plants that like cooler temps (intermediate? I don't know what I'm talking about) let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive just ordered 3 highlanders that are all very nice. Mira, muluensis x lowii and talangensis. they should all do well in my conditions and shouldnt be too picky. ventricosa, sanguinea are all on my shelf already and pitchering well. i have the same conditions as you...just less humidity.
    hope that helps any
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the terrarium will have like.. 95% humidity. It does in my room so I guess it will down there, too.

I like Talangensis. I need to buy one if it will grow. I like N. mikei and N. xiphioides and N. glabrata , diatas , inermis , and chaniana. And Ramispina. Just naming off plants I never thought I could grow... maybe I still can't. I'm broke as hell, too lmao.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep it for a week or so before you get anything new. just so you can look at what the conditions will turn out to be. i love glabrata. but until the price goes down...its not for me
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP, I have always wondered how you have such high humidity? Is it natural. Sorry alittle off topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the basement the hygrometer says 71%, that's natural. In the terrarium it's closed (not completely, the acrylic covers are warped from the metal halide so there are open spaces) and has a small fan blowing across the water in the bottom of the terrarium.

The plants are supported by an eggcrate on top of pots, water is in the bottom and so it a heater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humm i have to try the fan blowing on the bottom. Thanks alot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I learned that trick as a cheap way to cool a sump when I used to have a reef. Without the fan it's about 80-85%.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast