What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got it....my holy grail :)

Looks great! Good luck with that N. rajah. I've been growing one for a few years now. I grew it oudoors on my deck for two years straight all year round. It survived, but wasn't exactly thriving, so I brought it in to my basement growroom in January or February. I hit it with a couple doses of Maxsea fertilizer since then and it's started to grow real well (under fluorescents).

N-92.jpg

Capslock

Thanks! your plant looks beautiful. :) the new growth is perfect. :) any pitchers yet? I guess I cannot take credit for the pitchers on it...its from BE and they took the good care to get those pitchers. I have to wait and see after a few months to see if the tendril forms a pitcher from start to finish. :)

the only think I know about Rajah is that it gets uber big and it needs very high humidity...and i just don't have the humidity to do it :-(

check elgecko's post CP_dude. he grows rajah on a windowsill. along with N. hamata, aristo and other species that people think are difficult because of... needy needs(?).
Alex

hey guys,

I just did this:

will the rajah like it? :) Also, the water is tap water. Will it make a problem? should I still use distilled water?

mist002xj7.jpg

Yeah, it will eventually get a buildup of minerals on the disc, aswell as leave minerals on the leaves, pot, glass, etc. It won't hurt the plant unless the water is chlorinated, but it's not good for the disc. The fog will increase the likelihood of fungi, especially since it doesn't look that bright in there.

actually its pretty bright. There are 3 lights in there... Its the camera adjusting its lens as I put it on auto mode to prevent the glare.

I guess its a good thing I just tested it and removed the dish. I guess I will use the standard distilled water with which I water the plants. I don't mind about the disc....I care about the plants. :p

The fog is a great idea as long as you control it on a timer or something, so that the chamber doesnt become saturated. Its gets to be a problem when water is dripping out of the bottom of the chamber, etc.

Why is there cardboard in there? You realize that its going to very quickly get wet and deteriorate...right? You might wanna fix that pretty soon here.

Why is there cardboard in there? You realize that its going to very quickly get wet and deteriorate...right? You might wanna fix that pretty soon here.

NOW, the final picture after putting the lights, putting a piece of cardboard to minimize the water falling directly on the light.

xvart.

Be careful of that fogger, don't waterlogg your plants. Probably have enough humidity in your enclosure.

well...the cardboard is just so that the drops from top don't directly fall on the tube...and so far it seems to work fine though. I do not want to use Al foil because I heard that the water that falls on it may react to produce oxides which can be harmful to the plants. Thats why I am putting cardboard instead. :(

Thanks! I will check out how much it costs. :)

I don't know if you have home depot/lowes/wahtever in canada, but i think a 2 foot by 4 foot piece is a little cheaper than $8. It will be where the ceiling stuff is, because it is normally used for shields underneath fluorescents in the kitchen/bathroom etc. Make sure to get the acrylic kind (should be kind of opaque white). Theres a diff kind thats clear and is a few dollars cheaper, but will very easily crack

do you have anything for air circulation?
If not, you might want too look into a small fan.
peace,
Zero

Back