Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neoguinensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neoguinensis

I found many neoguinensis and insignis from Papua.

I collect many of them(papua species)

some neoguinensis pics, can see at:
    http://kantongsemar.nicetopics.com/index.htm

I'l take some insignis pic recently...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    r u allowed to collect neps?

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you indeed did grow them personally from a small plant or so... HATS OFF dude! good job at the wonderful skill of growing those masterpieces.
    Last edited by vraev; 05-26-2007 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Clarification regarding the context of the term "collection" and lack of information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    either that..of he collects them like we collect other CPs. as in a collection (noun).
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errmm... I think he means he collects species from Papua guys.

Even if he did wild collect, which I don't think he did, he may have had permission. I collect orchids from the wild all the time and ship them out, but it's on my own property. I gave myself permission ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vraev:

While your argument in pro conservation is very valid and it has the support of a large number of CP growers, is nevertheless flawed.
    On one hand, we have people who take plants and seeds from the wild, which we all know, is illegal, because the person doing is destroying a natural habitat of a particular species etc. Let's not; however, forget that many of those habitats are still being destroyed by another kind of human intervention (bulldozers, shovels, etc) to develop and construct on the area in question or to collect precious timber. Or like N. talangensis which may have been wiped out by the eruption of a volcano on gunung talang?. This alone may kill several dozen if not hundreds plants. who should we blame then?. Although a bit selfish, but a soon to be extinct nepenthes species in the wild may be in better hands with a collector who would hopefully knows how to culture a neoguineensis rathern than with construction companies or logging companies which only seek monetary remuneration or in the hands of God (tsunamis for globosa and volcanic eruptions for talangensis). I am not promoting,by the way, any illegal poaching, but if i have to choose, i'd choose the lesser of the two evils.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Basically, wild collection is called "POACHING" and I don't think there is a point of saying "WOW" or congratulating you for any of those plants, since, it was nature which grew them and you blatantly without understanding the amazing plant, pulled it out of that area.
    Different countries have different laws about what is and is not "poaching" so perhaps before you go slamming someone you should make sure you know full well what set of laws they are operating under. I myself do not know the laws of Papua so I will not comment either way.

Do not pass judgment too quickly people, it usually does more damage than good.

And remember, the #1 rule here is BE NICE so let's not go tearing into people.

Very nice pics Ady
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I DID NOT entirely understand the context of "collection" in his terms. However pyro, I seriously don't care how each country defines poaching. I define poaching as Stealing something from the wild for "personal pleasure". I guess when it comes down to the point of "saving them from landmowing" for building another shopping mall....thats valid and genuinely a good reason to take plants from the wild.

However, I got to say.. "IF" due to a communication error I didn't understand and "this dude" did indeed grow those plants....then hats off man! those are amazing plants and amazing growing to grow them like that...wonderful job at replicating nature.

In my understanding of poaching...I do also agree that all the plants we own have originated from "poached plants". But at this stage we are just growing "cultured plants" which immediately aren't making a effect on the wild populations.

In either case, I know I am biased towards nature...and I personally feel that "destruction of a species by a volcano" is the course of nature and is "NATURAL". It is the course of evolution and the path of LIFE on earth. I rather prefer that happening than "people un-sensitively destroying beautiful areas of nature without consideration to the wonders of the natural world."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast