What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highlanders, Air movement and Humidity

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
How important is night time humidity? My humidity ranges from 69 in the day at the lowest and 83 at the night at the highest. It's usually around 79 at night though. Does the night time humidity have to be really high? I'm growing with my terrarium only 50% covered and the night temp is about 65, sometimes dropping to 63, day temp about 72-75.

Should I mist everything really well at night before the lights go off? I'm new to highlanders, sorry :( I have one fan in there blowing across the water so that cools and humidifies a tiny bit. Should I add a second fan since it's only like a 6 inch fan and the terrarium is 75 gallons? I'm afraid to put it in any direction other than blowing across the water. I'm afraid I'll blow all of the humidified air out since the tank is only half way covered. Or is this enough air movement since the tank is partially open?

Growing plants in a cold terrarium that's only half covered is SO counter-intuitive from what I'm used to- Lowlanders growing in a sauna.

I got N. copelandii- Apo, N. gymnamphora, N. fusca, N. muluensis x lowii , and N. spectabilis today from a friend. I never though I could grow any of these :)

that should be plenty high enough.
one of the experienced growers should chime in, but I don't think you need the humidity any higher than what you have.
It's good that you have an increase at night.
I tried spraying my plants for a while and it ended up causing those fungus red spots on my leaves.

I have been spraying my ventrata for like 8 months..its going good and strong. :)

Well It's already in a basement so that increases the risk of mold. I don't know if it will get dry in the winter. Do unfinished basements get dry air in the winter?

Spraying is a pain so I'd rather not but I will if I have to. I might as well keep the water in the fridge. I'm good at growing lowlanders, but highlanders are a different beast from lowlanders so I'm nervous about them.

My Heliamphora is taking the low humidity well. Well it's low compared to what I'm used to. growing in.

Your numbers are fine! No need to spray at all (I think helis like the spraying, though). It sounds like your conditions will be perfect, so you can stop worrying! :)

Max

I hope so. I always thought I needed it to be 55 at night and like 90% RH to grow highlanders. Should I add a second fan and does it have to blow across the plants or is across the water good?

Not at all, JLAP. Just the most demanding of them. You might not be able to grow 1 foot N. rajah pitchers, but you'll have no problem with most of the standard highlanders.

Not knowing your conditions, I can't say if another fan is necessary. Probably not if you have one in there already, but they do like air movement so it probably wouldn't hurt.

Max

Ive heard quite the opposite Capslock. That Helis hate being misted.
Your conditions sound just fine JLAP most highland plants dont need as high humidity as lowlands.And those plants you mentioned is quite tolarant.
The only one that MIGHT get fuzzy is N.lowiii x muluensis.
But I think you should be fine, as will your plants

I should be getting N. lowii, N. inermis, and N. ramispina, too. I'm not worried about the later, and i figure if the lowii and inermis start to decline I'll just give them away to someone who can take care of them.

I added a second fan and the RH is 70-71 so I guess It's adding extra circulation without dropping the RH. BUT we'll see what it does over the coarse of a few days.

muluensis x lowii is doing fine for me. it stays in the 70s all day all night (gets a few degrees cooler) dosent grow as slow as many people think. i got a new leaf in 3 weeks. my helis do fine without misting. but when i first got them (hotter conditions) they grew fine and fairly quick when they were misted. noy they dont need it and grow fine in the cooler conditions.
Alex

Is that right, Pluto? I figured since heliamphora are subject to rainshowers every day in their natural environment, that they'd enjoy some misting. I could be wrong about that, though. Mine seem to not mind it, but maybe they'd do better without it.

Max

I also mist mine since it grows together with my neps.
Not every day though but every 3rd day or so.I doesnt seem to mind either.
But I spoke to wistuba and he told me that I shouldnt mist Helis since they easily get fungus infections from it.

Back