Thread: New nep leaves are smaller

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation New nep leaves are smaller

Hi guys,

If you guys remember... I bought 3 neps recently from BE: rajah, ramispina and bical.

Well....after 4 weeks...here is how they are now. The new leaves have formed on both except the ramispina.

But...there have been leaf losses as well. The rajah unfortunately lost a full leaf...as I foolishly tried to feed it an ant. The leaf yellowed and blackened in 2 days along with the pitcher.

Well...the ramispina....hasn't done ,much...just sitting there. But after 4 weeks its still looking green and nice...without a single leaf loss....I am guessing since its roots were practically NON EXISTANT..its making new roots.

The bical made a new growth point inside the leaf and the pitcher is growing...however, 2 leaves have blackened and died.

here are the pics:

Please advice me WHY the leaves are now smaller. especially the rajah. Is it the transplanting? is it light?

thanks,

varun

pics:

WHEN I GOT THEM

Ramispina

Bical

Rajah

NOW

ramispina

Bical

Rajah

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

thanks,

vraev

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on a side note....here is my new miranda pitcher:

and here is the entire setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i first got my rajah it made a puny leaf. After about 1.5 or 2 months it started to make leaves that were bigger than what it came with. My rajah has also lost about 5 leaves in the past couple months...3 at once when i first got it and then the other 2 slowly over about 6 months. I figure its due to transplanting and if you leave it in stable conditions for a while, it'll be fine eventually. Leaving neps in stable conditions for a long time is the cure to pretty much every single problem but root rot and pests
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for replying dude. What do u think? Is it looking good? Are my neps ok? Are there anything I can do to make them better? How to know if they need more light? I know VFT's make crappy leaves when grown in less light. How about neps? Do the new leaves look bad?

thanks,

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look shocked but otherwise fine. If you give them stability they should all recover. The ramispina actually doesn't look bad at all from the pic.

In terms of light, I think neps should be given the brightest light possible. They make better colors and whatnot that way. If they aren't getting enough light, the pitchers won't be colorful and the leaves will be dark green and longer than normal. I use the same grow-chamber thingy as you do, and I have 3 four foot double light fluorescent fixtures in it running vertically. So...thats a pretty tiny area and I have 6 tubes in there (I use a variety of spectra though...3 diff types of bulbs).
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're doing fine. That's simple transplant shock, and they look fine. Also, if you move them into more light, sometimes they make smaller leaves (but bigger pitchers) too. Most of my plants go through a phase like that. Anyway, your plants look good, now you just need patience. Oh, not sure how damp you keep it, but with an enclosure like that, you can invite root rot. I'd pop some big holes in that plastic if I were you. Neps like open air.

Max
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't put 4 feet tubes in there. These are 2 feet tubes. They are the GE gro and sho. The middle tube is GE warm white for a little change. In total 3 tubes. I plan on adding more in winter. Now its sooo warm here and this house has no AC. Sometimes temps go up to 85 or more. Thats when I keep the fan in front of it.

For ventilation...on top of the enclousure...I cut open a patch to allow air to escape.

BTW,,,those pots all have drainage except the rajah, it has drianage..but the water goes into a reservoir at the bottom. I keep checking and dump out extra water by pitching the pot a bit.

Thanks for all the comments and help guys. I really appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it possible for you to put some 4 ft shoplights vertically on the outside facing in? they are only $7-8 at wally world.
    shouldn't produce much heat.
    I have the three tier version of your greenhouse as my lowland house, and the lights REALLY heat up the air inside.
    peace,
    zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast