Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: transplanting

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I substitute "orchid moss" for LFS. I basically use whatever I have laying around just as long as it is airy and coarse. I use some peat, with larger portions of perlite and orchid moss and orchid bark.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I'm finding that a mix of peat, perlite and some sort of bark seems to be a popular combo. I have a bad habit of letting my nephs sit in a bit of water (lost a couple to root rot) so I want my mix to allow good drainage (and I promise not to let them stay wet). I don't have anything exotic, just ventricosa and I think a truncata (you know, the Lowe's specials?!). Anyway, I'm off to the garden center!

cpwitch
    \"Change is good -- you go first!\" Anon.
    Be sure to visit my website at: http://www.angelfire.com/magic/galengillotte

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesd, peat, perlite, and orchid bark is one of the most popular combinations. I simply mix sand, peat, LFS, and add pine needles to mine. Glad to see you back on the forums! Are you still into pings? I got a boatload from like four different people last summer. Check them out:

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...006/?start=all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell you how jealous I am about your vast kingdom of cp's! Where do you keep them all?! I also saw a ceph. in your batch of pictures. I just discovered that one I thought I'd lost over the winter has come back and now I need to know how to keep it alive, so please share any care tips you might have! And yes, I'm still into pings. I've actually managed to separate several of my plants and now have more of them, but not the variety you have! I've also got quite a few droseras of different types. And now I hope my transplanted nephs will thrive. So I'm happy

How's life these days? Take care.

cpwitch
    \"Change is good -- you go first!\" Anon.
    Be sure to visit my website at: http://www.angelfire.com/magic/galengillotte

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sent you a PM.... but to answer the question about where I have been keeping the collection, my Sarracenias, VFT's, and Neps are on the porch. After having them ravaged in April and losing ~half of them, some have been replaced and some have recovered. So far they haven't been brutalized by anything or anyone. The majority of the butterworts are on window sills (with a rack) on the stairway window sills. Other plants are on the kitchen sills and some are in the bathroom sill. Then I have two storage containers, filled with mostly sundews and bladderworts, in a closet, under a shoplight.

Welcome back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just potted a Rafflesiana in one part peat, perlite, and orchid bark. It seems to be working fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12