Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transplanting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transplanting

Hi All,

I have several nephs that need transplanting from their teeny, tiny pots but am confused about soil mixtures. I've found recipes that use up to 8 ingredients and others that suggest only two. What have you all found to be a good mixture?

Thanks!

cpwitch
    \"Change is good -- you go first!\" Anon.
    Be sure to visit my website at: http://www.angelfire.com/magic/galengillotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get as many recipes as people who respond. My mixture is LFS and sponge rock. When potting Neps, I first put a layer of packing peanuts on the bottom of the pot and then a little coco fiber above, with the LFS & sponge rock mix above that. You don't need to make it that complicated, but I happen to have bags of packing peanuts & coco fiber from my orchid days.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends a lot on your conditions and schedule as well as species. For example, when I had a lowland terrarium upstairs, I had to cover it because the humidity in the room was low, so I used a mix of 1/1/1 lfs/fir bark/perlite and watered about once a week. Then I moved it into the basement where it's naturally humid and I only cover the tank half way, so the water evaporates faster and with the same mix I had to water every 3 (that was pushing it!) days. Since then, due to my schedule I had to replace the media with straight LFS and now I have to water once ever 5 days, not pushing it.

So, depends on the species, your personal schedule and the conditions. I'd still use 1/1/1 lfs/fir bark/perlite if I didn't have to be out of town for 5 days at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats a good recipe...if you ditch the lfs for peat :P
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. When I was out today I looked for LFS and couldn't find any; I was going to try Armstron's tomorrow. So if I can't find LFS peat is ok? I have some of that from separating some pings. And if I can't find fir bark would orchid bark do the trick? From my reading I know nephs don't like real wet roots and so the soil needs to drain and I saw that pearlite was used in some recipes. Is that good to add? Also, (I guess this does get complicated!) some recipes called for charcoal; is that just to keep the water sweet? Also, when I do take the plants out of their little pots, do I try to get the old material off the roots, of just place the whole thing in the new mediuim? Thanks again!

cpwitch
    \"Change is good -- you go first!\" Anon.
    Be sure to visit my website at: http://www.angelfire.com/magic/galengillotte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    peat is fine...just make the mix super loose...like 1:2 peat: perilte.

about that last question... take it out of the pot and just make a hole and just place the whole root/ dirt mass into the hole. that makes it so there is as little root disturbance as possible.

good luck!
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes! nepenthes369's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on specie but fine orchid bark, perilite, and peat all should be clean of minerals etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cpwitch,

As I'm sure you'll discover/possibly already know....everyone has their own nep soil recipe. I have some growing in pure cedar mulch..I have some growing in pure peat...Some in 1:1 peat: perlite, some in pure orchid bark, some in orchid bark: peat 1:1, etc. It depends on species and personal preference, but also on a few facts. Personally, I think lfs sucks hardcore and I only use it as a topdressing on maybe 3 plants. But in terms of facts, I regularly fertilize, which breaks lfs down and ends up harming the plant in the end.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast