What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Hybrid - N. ampullaria (Brunei red) x N. ventricosa (red)

Here's a new hybrid (I think!). So far, it seems equally at home in both highland and lowland conditions. Interestingly, about the same number came out with pure green pitchers as with red pitchers. There are also some in between which I don't have photos of right now.

Plants in the photos are still quite small about 15cm-30cm (6"-12") across.

Trio of plants, two green one red:
N_ampullaria_x_ventricosa_plants.jpg

Plant with red pitcher:
N_ampullaria_x_ventricosa_plant.jpg

Closeup of red pitcher:
N_ampullaria_x_ventricosa_red_pitcher.jpg

Another closeup of red pitcher:
N_ampullaria_x_ventricosa_red_pitcher2.jpg

We have also recently made this cross the other way around, i.e. N. ventricosa x ampullaria. I think it will be really intresting to see if they resemble the female parents more.

Perhaps the cross with N. ampullaria as female parent will produce basal rosettes :D

Rob

Beautiful! :). I like how the coloration is diverse.

very nice coloration and shape.
can't wait for the N. ventricosa x ampullaria to grow up and see the difference.

Now that is red! I really like the simple, bright peristome. Nice work. How long ago did they sprout?

xvart.

Incredible color!!! I wonder when therse will be available... :)

Sweet!
Interesting the variation.
Cheers,

Joe

Now that is red! I really like the simple, bright peristome. Nice work. How long ago did they sprout?

xvart.

Without checking the records, I think they are about a year out of seed. The TC clones are coming through now. We kept 90 clones in TC so we hope we get one with the blood red pitchers and green leaves. Some are coming out with red leaves though. Personally, I like contrasts between leaves and pitchers and will be looking for clones like the one shown.

Back