Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: water quality

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the question of RO machines...awhile back several people suggested it is worth the investment. I've done a bit more research and have found one for a couple of hundred dollars that claims to waste zero water. does anyone know if such claims are credible?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    without more details I personally would be very skeptical of any such claim

the waste water is how the RO membrane constantly cleans and purges itself of the rejected trash

sounds like snake oil to me

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't spend $200 on something that clams to waist no water.
    The way a r/o filter works it has to waste some water.
    you can get a complete R/O system with 3 prefilters, a post filter, 4 gallon tank, and faucet for $100. I don't know why anyone with a collection of cps would go without one. It's also GREAT for drinking, coffee, cooking, fishtanks, etc.
    It's one of the best investments I have ever made and has paid for itself about 5 times over in the last year alone.
    peace,
    Zero
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the store wants 289--not 200. I just called the manufacturer and they explained that their zero waste model does in fact produce waste water, but that water is then pumped back into your water heater to be reused. Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive heard of those but not seen one yet...

couple probs would have to be overcome, first.. the hot water tank is going to be at full house pressure, so the membrane's waste water will have to be pumped up to a pressure higher then that to work, then you will also have to isolate the membrane from this high pressure

however, if their system is set up correctly...

imho go with a basic system, add a permeate pump and 90% shut off valve if you want better then average performance.. really nice system with no electrical pumps, solenoid valves or pressure switches required

remember, parts that arent used cant break down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for the normal basic system that is sold cheaply on ebay.
    you prob. don't want to go through the hassle of hooking up a filter to the heater, and as aviator said the pressure in the tank will only cause problems.
    the $100 basic unit will work fine for you and I doubt you will notice any difference in your water bill bacause of the small amount of waste water produced.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    , and I only use 1.5 gallons every other day or every 3 days
    +/- 20 gallons a day...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The house's hot water will end up a little saltier than before, but ROs waste more water than they produce and it could be a good idea. Do they need to pump the wastewater into the water heater? And install a storage tank for the wastewater with backflow preventers before the water heater and between the tank and heater? I'm curious how they do the plumbing to actually get the wastewater into the water heater without scaring the water company.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast