What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. sanguinea; mysterious brown stuff

I recently got a N. sanguinea from Clint, which is growing great; each new pitcher has been bigger than the previous. They are all producing nectar, and this is where it gets kinda weird. On all of the pitchers, there is a brown-ish colored stuff that has formed on nectar that collected on the peristome. It seems to rub off onto my finger when I touch it. Does anyone know what it is? Is this normal? Would a picture help?

Thanks,
-Ben

Probably black soot, which is a type of fungus or mildew I think. It grows on sugar- or carbohydrate-rich substrate; probably just attracted by the nectar. Fairly normal, if that's what it is.
~Joe

N. sanguinea nectar sometimes IS a brownish/red color. Sometimes blood red! Is it that or is there something ON the nectar?

Max

DSCN4539.jpg

I dunno if it is the nectar or not, because it seems to turn brown-ish with age.

-Ben

It's nectar.
sanguinea produces this colored nectar on the persitome.
search for post N sanguinea bleeds, or bleeding sanguinea, you will see pics of the colored nectar.
nothing to worry about.
peace,
Zero

Oh, ok. Thanks. Yeah, your pics look like what mine has. Anyone know why this is? Or has it not been looked into?

-Ben

nectar as far as i know :D looks like you have the same form as me. the orange pitcher form. its a great plant and mine has gone from 3in across to a foot since december!!!
Alex

Someone told me that's why it's called N. sanguinea (which means blood red). That is indeed the color of the nectar, and your plant looks great!

Max

deleted

It reminds me of that Dragon's Blood resin they use for incense.

Mine is the same way. I like it. I only wish mine would be more bloody! It's cool when it starts to run down the pitcher.

xvart.

Back